Weighing scales

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
borojohn

#1: Post by borojohn »

Hi. Looking for some advice please. I am experimenting with espresso so am playing with scales to weigh my espresso in and espresso out. Problem i'm finding is the scales I am using, ON BALANCE MTT-200 Mini Table Top Digital Scale 200 x 0.01g, keeps tripping out when I am using it under my portifilter on a Sage duel boiler. It seems the vibration from the duel boiler machine (vibration pump) is causing the scale to trip. I have tested the scale using it away from the duel boiler by taring the cup, adding water and works fine. But if I use the scale stood on the drip tray underneath the portafilter during operation the scale shows a fault.

Any ideas please?, work arounds or perhaps a small scale that would work ok when the machine is extracting?

Thanks

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

I've never encountered this problem in reading or IRL. I have a cheap ass thing from China that works fine. I suspect there are dozens of scales out there that will work.

Advertisement
jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

I haven't had that problem with a Lee Valley Mini Digital Kitchen Scale -- it's $15. it reads to the nearest gram (which, for me, is plenty accurate) and I had mine about 3 years without any issues. Lee Valley is a mail order company that sells a lot of woodworking tools.

spearfish25

#4: Post by spearfish25 »

I use a $25 Amazon special cheapo digital scale and it works great.

Atbat82

#5: Post by Atbat82 »

I've used this scale for years with a vibration pump machine without issue. It's accurate to 0.1 gram and reads fairly quickly. It's not water proof, but the occasional splash has never hurt it. And, at $13, if it dies, you could also buy another one.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-S ... 209&sr=8-7
LMWDP #655

Qporzk

#6: Post by Qporzk »

Are you using a heavy cup? Given that this scale is rated for only 200g, it is possible that you are maxing out the load cell causing bad readings. It could also be heat on the electronics.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by jwCrema replying to Qporzk »

+1

Advertisement
jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

I was trying to figure out just exactly what the OP meant. He said the scale was "tripping out". Is like in the '60s? Maybe his scale took some blotter.

rmongiovi

#9: Post by rmongiovi »

A 0.01g scale is pretty sensitive. I assume the vibration is preventing it from stabilizing and it's detecting that and reporting an error.

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS »

borojohn wrote:Hi. Looking for some advice please. I am experimenting with espresso so am playing with scales to weigh my espresso in and espresso out. Problem i'm finding is the scales I am using, ON BALANCE MTT-200 Mini Table Top Digital Scale 200 x 0.01g, keeps tripping out when I am using it under my portifilter on a Sage duel boiler. It seems the vibration from the duel boiler machine (vibration pump) is causing the scale to trip. I have tested the scale using it away from the duel boiler by taring the cup, adding water and works fine. But if I use the scale stood on the drip tray underneath the portafilter during operation the scale shows a fault.

Any ideas please?, work arounds or perhaps a small scale that would work ok when the machine is extracting?

Thanks
0.01g accuracy is not necessary and with such a sensitive scale little things like vibrations may throw it off. I really don't know but a 200 x 0.01g scale is probably used for something like jewelry on a flat table with no machine vibrations. I would shop for a 0.1g scale like this one that one is listed for about $15, but you can buy them anywhere under many different names. Don't be fooled, they are all the same, I bought a pile of them for $4 each and I give them out as promotional gifts with a sticker of my company on them. They are simple and work great, Hoffmann is caught using the same scales countless times in his videos. I would recommend getting something like that or another set of scales that are rated 0.1g not 0.01g (that's just too sensitive)