Week 1 in the books...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
RedBarchetta

#1: Post by RedBarchetta »

Well, first week with the new machine and I am only slightly less frustrated than on day one :lol:

I took some of the advice in another thread and have gotten to a point where I get a decent shot in every 4 or 5 attempts.
A couple of my observations so far:
1) The Sette grinder is messy as hell... my wife wants it out :shock:
2) It also seems a little variable to me, meaning one shot comes out with decent flow/timing then the next is off a bit. A little inconsistent
3) Puck prep is way more important than I ever thought
4) Finding the St. Anthonys leveler really helping with consistency
5) I know I'm a little early for this, but broke out the naked portafilter and made an absolute mess. Then made one really cool looking shot that actually tasted half decent!!
6) Have a few 2 lb bags of beans on the way that after reading here look to have a good degree of leeway (RedBird, Klatch Belle, Gran Miscela Carmo Blend . Currently practicing with Caffe' Cartapani Cinquestelle 17g in-34 out 25-30 seconds (201)

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be great, thx!

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by emradguy »

My suggestions:

Stick with the bottomless pf, despite the mess you're usually making. You'll get that under control soon enough, and then you'll find being able to see what's going on at the bottom of the basket very helpful.

If you're not already doing so, incorporate WDT into your workflow.

Tame the Sette by grinding into a catch cup. Get the cup as close to the grinder output as possible. If you've still got a lot of side spraying of grounds, try using RDT on the beans before grinding. Also, pour from the catch cup into your basket through a dosing funnel. This will hopefully eliminate the mess and make your wife happier.

When adjusting for taste, change only one variable at a time.

Remember to only make changes to dose, grind, temperature, tamp pressure, after you've determined the last shot pulled well, but just didn't taste good. For example, if you've pulled a shot that was ruined by channeling, it doesn't make sense to try to fix it by tweaking your grind setting. Or...in other words, don't make a change if the bad shot was due to poor preparation of the dry puck.

Temperature is the last thing to change if you've gotten everything else you can out of tweaking grind setting and adjusting dose. I'll leave basket selection out of this discussion for now.

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

emradguy wrote:Also, pour from the catch cup into your basket through a dosing funnel. This will hopefully eliminate the mess and make your wife happier.
Don't pour. Use a cup that fits inside the basket, put the PF on top of the cup and flip. Shake vertically a couple of times to distribute.

Great latte makes the missus happy 8)

MNate
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by MNate »

emradguy wrote:My suggestions:

Stick with the bottomless pf, despite the mess you're usually making. You'll get that under control soon enough, and then you'll find being able to see what's going on at the bottom of the basket very helpful.

If you're not already doing so, incorporate WDT into your workflow.

Tame the Sette by grinding into a catch cup. Get the cup as close to the grinder output as possible. If you've still got a lot of side spraying of grounds, try using RDT on the beans before grinding. Also, pour from the catch cup into your basket through a dosing funnel. This will hopefully eliminate the mess and make your wife happier.

When adjusting for taste, change only one variable at a time.

Remember to only make changes to dose, grind, temperature, tamp pressure, after you've determined the last shot pulled well, but just didn't taste good. For example, if you've pulled a shot that was ruined by channeling, it doesn't make sense to try to fix it by tweaking your grind setting. Or...in other words, don't make a change if the bad shot was due to poor preparation of the dry puck.

Temperature is the last thing to change if you've gotten everything else you can out of tweaking grind setting and adjusting dose. I'll leave basket selection out of this discussion for now.
I think all of this is right on! You'll get it!

RedBarchetta (original poster)

#5: Post by RedBarchetta (original poster) »

Thanks for that!

SandraF

#6: Post by SandraF »

Well, I will suggest returning the Sette and upgrade your grinder.

#7: Post by RedBarchetta (original poster) »

thanks, yea.. not gonna lie that has crossed my mind

exidrion

#8: Post by exidrion »

Sette's gotta be the most polarizing grinder I've seen on this forum, 1 person says it's good, the other bad :mrgreen:

#9: Post by RedBarchetta (original poster) »

Latest attempt, getting there!