We don't need no stinkin' tamper! - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.

Postby tegee » Feb 22, 2018, 3:44 pm

bluesman wrote:I think it goes CW because the slope up to each of the 3 vanes seems longer and more gradual on the leading side if turned that way. The more gradual slope seems to me to be more likely to let the ground particles flow and spread out, rather than pressing them into the puck irregularly. And for righties (which is most of us), CW seems to be the more natural way to turn it.

I'm about to make my second cap of the morning, so I'll try it CCW.

[EDIT] As expected (which rules out any scientific merit to this little experiment...), I find no difference in the cup with CCW rotation of the tool on the puck. It does leave a bit of loose ground coffee on the surface. CW rotation leaves a perfectly smooth top. It did feel a bit awkward or unnatural to rotate it counterclockwise, though.

Thanks for sharing this insight on what appeared to be a stupid question....but as they say there is no ??? question:-).

Postby gus6464 » Feb 26, 2018, 2:48 pm

I am using the Joe Frex level tamper which is one massive heavy piece of aluminum. Would I benefit using this distribution tool you think?

Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » Feb 26, 2018, 4:48 pm

We (team HB) have been saying this for years. The least important part of the prep is the tamp. Far more important is the distribution. Light tamp, heavy tamp, does not matter as long as the grounds are evenly distributed for uniform density puck and whatever tamp you use is level and consistent be it light or heavy. You cannot fix bad distribution with a tamp, but can ruin a good distribution with a tamp.
Dave Stephens

Postby Séb » Feb 26, 2018, 10:46 pm

I really like mine and on my lever machine i can just use this tool without tamping and still get the same cup result.