WDT technique not tools

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by LBIespresso »

It seems, as with everything espresso, consistency in technique is paramount. There are many discussions here about what tool to use but I have not stumbled across one on proper technique.

Here's what I do: I grind with an HG-One into the blind tumbler (not blind shaker). I use a cake tester to stir a bit before I dump into PF. I dump into PF. I stir in a circular motion from outside to middle (like flower petals on a spirograph) making sure to touch bottom. As I finish I continue the motion until I have lifted it out of the basket. Then I do one bump to level and tamp. I have been told that bumping can settle the fines and cause stratification but that one bump should be ok.

This works pretty well but I would love to hear what you guys do as I am looking to improve. My shots with bottomless PF are pretty consistent but not perfect.
LMWDP #580

Hudson

#2: Post by Hudson »

I also have an HG-1. I grind into a blind tumbler and stir the grounds around with a mini whisk. I then empty the tumbler into my portafilter with an oe funnel and finish with a quick stir with a paper clip. I use a vst basket and even with all of that I still get a spritzer or two when I pull lighter roasts. Darker roasts look picture perfect.
LMWDP #534

cerone

#3: Post by cerone »

I've found that less is more when it comes to picture perfect bottomless extractions from my Sette.

I grind directly into my portafilter with the Kafatek dosing funnel in place. I give a very gentle stir with a chopstick (leaving the funnel on to avoid spilling). I don't ever touch the bottom of the basket when I WDT. Then I give it one tap on the mat and then use the Kafatek grooming tool and eazytamp. I used toothpicks for a while but found that smaller tools and more vigorous stirring made for uglier extractions. I don't know that I've noticed a significant difference in taste either way, but I keep doing it to keep things consistent. Curious how my results will change once my Monolith arrives next month.

LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

cerone wrote:I've found that less is more when it comes to picture perfect bottomless extractions from my Sette.
I have been finding the same. Simple Stockfleth without WDT seems to produce the same results for me. Those results are still somewhat inconsistent but no more or less with vs without WDT. I remain unconvinced that it is worth it but would be eager to learn if I can use it to get better results.
LMWDP #580

bettysnephew

#5: Post by bettysnephew »

I grind into the portafilter from my Kafatek Conical with the funnel on the lip. I have been using the needle type tool but recently found a couple of small whisks. I have not been particularly pleased with the flavor of the shots when using the whisks. For one thing the shots took far longer to run all else being equal and were not as sweet as the one done with just the needle type tool. I suspect the whisks were putting more fines near the bottom of the port. basket and slowing the water passage. The whisks were washed and put away.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

aecletec

#6: Post by aecletec »

bettysnephew wrote: I suspect the whisks were putting more fines near the bottom of the port
Perhaps less channeling? Have you tried coarser with whisking? That worked better for me and my grinders, but they're not Monoliths!

bettysnephew

#7: Post by bettysnephew »

I did not see any channeling, the bloom of coffee across the face of the basket was just like usual. the outer ring of holes showed coffee followed immediately by the rest of the face of the basket. Made a beautiful column, just much longer time before it appeared and very slow to finish the 36 gram liquid dose. 18gr. in by the way.
LMWDP #586

slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck »

bettysnephew wrote:I grind into the portafilter from my Kafatek Conical with the funnel on the lip. I have been using the needle type tool but recently found a couple of small whisks. I have not been particularly pleased with the flavor of the shots when using the whisks. For one thing the shots took far longer to run all else being equal and were not as sweet as the one done with just the needle type tool. I suspect the whisks were putting more fines near the bottom of the port. basket and slowing the water passage. The whisks were washed and put away.
It sounds like the grinds are too fine. With my experience if I grind too fine I not only loose time but the shots loose flavour as well

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

aecletec

#9: Post by aecletec »

bettysnephew wrote:I did not see any channeling, the bloom of coffee across the face of the basket was just like usual.
Interesting, thanks!

bettysnephew

#10: Post by bettysnephew »

<It sounds like the grinds are too fine. With my experience if I grind too fine I not only loose time but the shots loose flavour as well>

I might have thought that also, but the whisk vs. needle was the only thing that was changed. that is what raised my suspicion of the fines being lower in the basket due to the more aggressive stirring action. Really no matter though as I am happy with using the needle and get shots I like. Just an experiment.
LMWDP #586