WDT latest understanding? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by Milligan »

I think the benefit of a multi pronged WDT compared to a single needle is the speed. I use a Levercraft now. I started with a single then a cheap Amazon WDT and now the Levercraft. I like how the Levercraft has angled needles around the parameter that hit the edges of the bottom of the basket neatly. I find the Levercraft halves or more my WDT time for the same results as compared to the single endless and is a pleasure to use.

Jonk

#22: Post by Jonk »

Worth mentioning that there are inexpensive 3D prints like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5187271 for multi pronged WDT.. As well as a debate about what size needle is ideal :lol:

I think needle spacing might be just as important as diameter FWIW.. For those that are looking to optimize the tool.

cafeIKE

#23: Post by cafeIKE »

Jake_G wrote:As much as it pains me to admit it, I think the thing that changed the perspective is the DE1.
Perhaps the gathered information is not relevant?

Back in the 70's the HiFi holy grail was vanishingly low distortion. Values of a few thousandths of a percent were achieved but other forms of distortion obtained, such as Transient Intermodulation Distortion. Some raved about them. Others preferred tube musicality with its "high" distortion. Still do.

For all we know DE1 preferers also prefer Deep Eddy Orange Vodka & Snapple, Big Mac's followed by B&H Cherry Garcia 8)

slybarman

#24: Post by slybarman »

Jeff
Team HB

#25: Post by Jeff »

The AliExpress tool seems to lack the advantages of the LeverCraft tool (the innovator) or the JKim Makes version that innovated by making it mailable in an envelope. On a budget, the JKim Makes versions are around $10 on Etsy.

Jake_G
Team HB

#26: Post by Jake_G »

Jeff wrote:The AliExpress tool seems to lack the advantages of the LeverCraft tool (the innovator)
Proud Papa, reading that.
LMWDP #704

slybarman

#27: Post by slybarman »

Doesn't seem any less useful than sticking acupuncture needless in a cork and there's no shortage of members using that. They probably spent more than $3 on just the needles. For the price, it's good enough for me.

ancoffee

#28: Post by ancoffee »

Just received Walnut wdt. Overall I'm very happy for this price.
https://www.amazon.com/WALNUT-COFFEE-Se ... ast_sto_dp

erik82

#29: Post by erik82 »

I've been using a small whisk for years and just recently started to use the Crema The WDT Tool. With darker roasts I do find that it makes little difference but with light roasts WDT certainly helps getting more even extractions and a lot less channeling. My grinder doesn't clump but it still improves extraction but with a grinder that does clump it helps a lot more. Going from the small whisk to a WDT tool also made a positive difference. Looking at my perosnal experience from the last 10+ years I do think it does help in getting better extractions.

slybarman

#30: Post by slybarman »

ancoffee wrote:Just received Walnut wdt. Overall I'm very happy for this price.
https://www.amazon.com/WALNUT-COFFEE-Se ... ast_sto_dp
Looks nice and I like the little stand and magnet. Fakespot seems to think the Amazon reviews are fake and gives it a 'D".