Watery shot, weak crema even ground fine - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Milligan »

Mrgnomer is on track here. Funny enough a now "standard" Rao style roast curve doesn't translate to a "standard" espresso profile in the same way a slower, mellow roast curve does. I get the best crema (drama shots) from 4min+ Maillard, 3-4min development into Full city. A 13-14min roast time was typical for Italian style espresso and still is.

With that said, it does have more to do with roast level and bean variety than specific roast curves. Many roasters following Rao style roast curves are targeting filter in the light to medium-light range. Rao even says it himself that his recommendations wane a bit when going darker. Crema is practically non-existent in light to medium light, more of a lace.

Like Jeff recommended, get a classic Italian-style blend with some robusta if heavy crema is wanted.

aferrick (original poster)

#12: Post by aferrick (original poster) replying to Milligan »

Both comments are very interesting, I don't have much knowledge on roasting itself (yet... hopefully that's not a rabbit hole I go down...) but the info is good nonetheless. I'll have to try some darker roasts to see how they compare. Good comments all around.

mrgnomer

#13: Post by mrgnomer »

Roasting is another rabbit hole for sure. There's some good roast recommendations on the coffee forum. Intelligentsia Black Cat is a good classic favourite.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Capuchin Monk

#14: Post by Capuchin Monk »

mrgnomer wrote:Intelligentsia Black Cat is a good classic favourite.
It was. That company has gone wayside about 5 - 6 years ago. They abused their once highly regarded reputation and slacked off big time. Such is the market. Solution? Home roasting. 8)

mrgnomer

#15: Post by mrgnomer »

Bummer. It's been a while since I had Black Cat. They roasted to order back then.

Home roast has advanced since I got into it with a basic Hottop programmable. I still roast but mostly medium to dark classic espresso. The rest after a fast ramp to first crack and finish just touching second crack kind. Third wave artisan style lighter roasts are elusive.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love