Wanted feedback on my extraction process. Rocket R58 + Eureka Atom

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
clientjb7

Postby clientjb7 » Jul 01, 2018, 12:22 pm

Hello. New to Home-Barista. I have been a member of several other forums for awhile, but this site appears to be more active so I might be switching over. Anyways, I picked up a Rocket R58 a few months ago at a great price and I have been using it daily. I have been wanting to record my extraction for awhile so that I could get some feedback on my process. It is a short 3 minute video on youtube (first video ever, so I apologize for any "ums"). Again, I wanted to show my extraction process and see if anyone sees any mistakes or had points of advice. It's also another video available to users to see what a Rocket and Eureka machine might look like.

I'm still experimenting with other beans. This particular bean tastes of this is a little acidic, however I do think it is how I am extracting. When I try the same bean from the roaster them self, its a little different. I thought it might actually be my water because quantifiable, my extraction yields appear to be on point (2:1 ratio in 30 seconds, and naked portafilter appears good so I "THINK" my tamp is good). Today tasted pretty good though. Also, the beans I'm using in this video was roasted under two weeks, I would guess 22JUNE.

What I'm using:
Rocket R58
Eureka atom grinder
Naked Portafilter (to assist in feedback during extraction)
VST-183050r 18gr basket
Hario VST-2000 scale
Beans from Bldg6 - a local coffee roaster here in El Paso
Acqua Panna spring water

Again, any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auL9fzsuTX8

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Jul 01, 2018, 1:24 pm

1. Don't lock the portafilter so hard into the group....I can see the group and front panel flexing a lot...it really doesn't need to be locked in that hard. If you find you have to do it that harrd or it comes undone...then get a group gasket 0.5mm thinner.

2. The shot was 40 sec from when you raised the lever and choked initially, then probably channeled as it started to flow. Grind a little coarser.

clientjb7

Postby clientjb7 » Jul 01, 2018, 2:45 pm

DaveC,

Thanks for the input. Your right, I see the flex at 1:54. I'll work on not over tightening this.

I did want to ask about the timing though. I initiated the shot at 2:10 and and shut off at 2:41. Am I calculating the timing of this shot wrong or should I be starting my timer earlier? I just want to clarify this.

Assuming the timing is right on 30 seconds, would you still recommend adjusting the grind?

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Jul 01, 2018, 3:49 pm

Yes it was clearly choked then channeled...but I timed from the point you lifted the lever...I used the Video timeline.

clientjb7

Postby clientjb7 » Jul 01, 2018, 4:48 pm

Dave, thanks again. You say clearly choked and channeled. Can you teach me what your seeing? It is not clear to me, hence posting the video. Also, im still confused on the how your getting 40 seconds. Im calculating 31 based on 2:10 to 2:41. Am i starting my timer too soon or ending too late? What times should i be claculating start and end times? Thanks again foe helping me improve my shots.

Bluenoser

Postby Bluenoser » Jul 02, 2018, 5:29 pm

I'm don't have a lot of experience in this, but I'm happy to offer from my limited time with my machine.

Ideally you want to see dark chocolate streaks from all parts of the basket at the beginning. You have only drops coming from the centre area and a blond stream coming just right of centre. The centre is too slow (choking) and the stream to the right is too fast. This is channeling and will add a more sour taste to the output. So that stream is unbalancing your output a bit. Maybe just go a bit coarser and fine tune the distribution. One thing that usually works for me is to fill the basket about 2/3 full, distribute by taping sides with my hand, then rap on table to vertically break chunks and remove air pockets. Then fill with rest of grind and repeat.

You are looking at volume output and I've never been consistent with that. I always weigh the output. That doesn't help this issue, but might make the shots more repeatable.

Temp could also be a factor. What is your PID on the brew set for? Have you measured the water in the portafilter to see if that is what you are getting? Slight underextraction might be a brew water not hot enough. I have an HX with PID and tables that came with my machine are way off. So initially I was getting under-extraction on every shot as my brew water was down about 175-180.. When I got it up to about 195, it was, of course, remarkably better. I just used an accurate, but fast thermometer in a foam cup which I think gave me a close temp for the first part of the shot to give me some confidence in the brew water temp.

Once you get the extraction more consistent across the face of the output, if it seems a bit to blond too early, look at increasing temp a bit.

danny31292

Postby danny31292 » Jul 02, 2018, 8:11 pm

It looks like the bottom of the portafilter very quickly with a few drips and then chokes. Although the pour looks even and the time is about right, I don't see much striping during the pour. I agree with some others that maybe theres some non obvious channeling. I would probably try a high ratio with a bit coarser grind.

clientjb7

Postby clientjb7 » Jul 03, 2018, 11:42 pm

Danny and bluenoser,

thank you so much. I will make some adjustments based on your feedback. Your right, the output does taste a little sour, so I desperately want to fix this. I will try a more course setting, and if it pours out too fast, I may tamp harder? I will definitely try to tap grinds 2/3rds of the way too and see if that can provide some better changes.

I am also weighing my output using the Hario. I started with 18.3g in the basket, and ended with 38.9gr output. Visually, you see volume. So I am kindof doing both (weight and volume). My PID is set to 222f degrees, which equals 199f on the brew head (ref: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/asset ... manual.pdf page 23)

I have not tested to verify the temperature of the PID/table. I don't have an accurate thermometer and have been wanting to get one anyways. Could you recommend one?

Last question: Could you recommend a specific coffee bean that may help in minimizing variables? Is there any standard coffee bean that users use that acts as a benchmark? I just dont want the bean to be yet another variable in this process. I can move back to my preferred bean once I figure out what I'm doing wrong and fix it.

danny31292

Postby danny31292 » Jul 04, 2018, 10:29 am

I think the only option to really measure temp is a SCACE thermofilter. I would adjust temperature by taste. My favorite blend is Counter Culture Hologram. Its really easy to pull a super sweat shot with nice acidity and chocolate flavors. I find experimenting with this blend a bit easier since all the main espresso flavors are so well balanced from the beginning. I found the guide below pretty handy.

Mano Lite: A Short Guide to Dialing in Espresso SOs and Blends

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Jul 04, 2018, 12:35 pm

clientjb7 wrote:Danny and bluenoser,

thank you so much. I will make some adjustments based on your feedback. Your right, the output does taste a little sour, so I desperately want to fix this. I will try a more course setting, and if it pours out too fast, I may tamp harder? I will definitely try to tap grinds 2/3rds of the way too and see if that can provide some better changes.

I am also weighing my output using the Hario. I started with 18.3g in the basket, and ended with 38.9gr output. Visually, you see volume. So I am kindof doing both (weight and volume). My PID is set to 222f degrees, which equals 199f on the brew head (ref: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/asset ... manual.pdf page 23)

I have not tested to verify the temperature of the PID/table. I don't have an accurate thermometer and have been wanting to get one anyways. Could you recommend one?

Last question: Could you recommend a specific coffee bean that may help in minimizing variables? Is there any standard coffee bean that users use that acts as a benchmark? I just dont want the bean to be yet another variable in this process. I can move back to my preferred bean once I figure out what I'm doing wrong and fix it.

Only thing I can add is to stick to the same coffee for a while until you got the other variables down pat and then adventure from there

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”