Wanted feedback on my extraction process. Rocket R58 + Eureka Atom - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
clientjb7 (original poster)

#11: Post by clientjb7 (original poster) »

I tried making a few adjustments and wanted to see if Part II looks better or if I am making the same mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEOPpiYDew

Started a little heavy (18.6gr) and output a 36.1gr in 26 seconds. I'm basically looking for feedback to see if I made an improvement from part I and if I am going in the right direction, where should I go now? If I'm not making improvements, then I will consider the scace thermofilter, but that's kind of expensive to rule out temperature being my issue. If I had to guess, I would say any issues I am having is in my tamp. Bathroom scale places my Espro calibrated tamp at 25 lbs rather than 30 lbs, which I don't think is all that bad if that is the case. If the pressure is good, then I think its my distribution of force down into the basket.

While I have been putting less pressure when installing my portafilter, I cleaned the screen yesterday and I noticed that after re-installation, the portafilter handle get really tight much earlier, so I need to again put less pressure on this portafilter installation.

I did stop 2/3rds in and tap the grounds in the basket to remove potential airpockets. I think this is helping and will continue to do this normally.

I am using Hologram because honestly, I wanted to try a new bean and wanted to try something that viewers may have been more experienced with.

Thanks inadvance for any feedback

danny31292

#12: Post by danny31292 »

How does it taste? Looks like it should be a pretty good shot from what I see. I wouldn't be too concerned about the tamp pressure. Your distribution looks pretty good based on that shot.

Bluenoser

#13: Post by Bluenoser »

clientjb7 wrote:I tried making a few adjustments and wanted to see if Part II looks better or if I am making the same mistakes.

While I have been putting less pressure when installing my portafilter, I cleaned the screen yesterday and I noticed that after re-installation, the portafilter handle get really tight much earlier, so I need to again put less pressure on this portafilter installation.

Thanks inadvance for any feedback
When you re-installed the gasket you didn't press it really hard up against the group. That is why the portafilter goes in 'harder' than it used to. I found this too, when I took my screen out for cleaning. I used the flat handle of a spoon and pressed the gasket up harder at about 4 points around its circumference. You likely have some space between the gasket and the top of the group.

Bluenoser

#14: Post by Bluenoser »

I thought the extraction looked pretty good. It's a little faster than I find that I like in my coffee. I'd now adjust by taste.. so I might pull a shot, then grind just a little finer so that the extraction takes, say 5-8 seconds longer and then taste the two of them. You may find that you prefer a slower extraction. I find the 25-30 seconds is pretty subjective because of the time to the first drip can vary quite a bit.

This is the fun part of espresso, you get to try many things.. Often I make a mistake, but when I taste it, might find the 'mistake' adjusts some variable in a positive direction. Try to only adjust one variable.