VST/ Strada Basket for Silvia - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Coffeematt13 (original poster)

#21: Post by Coffeematt13 (original poster) »

It's always good to learn from other peoples' experiences. I plan to purchase a bottomless portafilter very soon, which comes with a triple basket. As I have never used a triple basket, it will be interesting to see how it works for me. :D

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by JohnB. »

Coffeematt13 wrote:So John, are you saying that you would recommend the 21g ridgeless over the 14g ridgeless?
No, it depends on the size of the dose you use. I like the 14g for doses up to & including 18g. The 21g double works well between that range & triple mega doses which for me start at 21g & go up.
LMWDP 267

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Coffeematt13 (original poster)

#23: Post by Coffeematt13 (original poster) »

I see. I wasn't sure if the 14g hq baskets would be able to hold 18g of coffee.

LeBreadman

#24: Post by LeBreadman »

I have a silvia v3 and a 18g ridgeless VST basket and I must say that they are frustrating to use because a small variation in the variables have an impact on the shot (so especially on the silvia). I went back to the triple LM basket that came with my naked PF with the same dosing and my shots are better!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by JohnB. »

Coffeematt13 wrote:I see. I wasn't sure if the 14g hq baskets would be able to hold 18g of coffee.
No idea why they call it a 14g basket. The Synesso 14g double is the same story as it easily holds 18g.
LMWDP 267

Tag Team Jesus

#26: Post by Tag Team Jesus »

Because the Versalab grinder has it's donut distribution in the basket, I find it works best to overfill the grounds so they can easily be redistributed into the middle where the donut hole is. That being said, I could really use a better basket that will get overfilled for my 18 gram shots. 18 grams often looks a little skimpy in the double basket. So, I think I'll order that 14 gram HQ basket.

A lot of HQ talk in this VST thread.

LaDan

#27: Post by LaDan »

Tag Team Jesus wrote:Because the Versalab grinder has it's donut distribution in the basket, I find it works best to overfill the grounds so they can easily be redistributed into the middle where the donut hole is. That being said, I could really use a better basket that will get overfilled for my 18 gram shots. 18 grams often looks a little skimpy in the double basket. So, I think I'll order that 14 gram HQ basket.

A lot of HQ talk in this VST thread.
In which 18g basket, the VST or... ? I have the same issue with the 18g basket. I developed some kind of Stockflech with my finger going down into the basket to distribute and level at about 3mm below the rim. :?

If I fill up the basket to level to the rim then it would not tamp low enough.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Tag Team Jesus

#28: Post by Tag Team Jesus »

LaDan wrote:In which 18g basket, the VST or... ?
18 grams yields skimpiness in my HQ double basket. Just ordered a HQ 14 gram ridgeless. NeatO. If you can level 3mm below the rim, I am impressed. Post a video! I never understood how to distribute a coffee if the dose couldn't level with the rim.

I have VSTs, but have put them away until I get very comfortable with my new setup on HQ. No rhyme or reason....I just picked these baskets for now.

LaDan

#29: Post by LaDan » replying to Tag Team Jesus »

Hi Jon, I can't take a video, so instead I took pictures and wrote a thousands words. Started a thread to answer your question, it's just too long and didn't want to hijack this thread.

Here it is: Underdosed Stockfleth - When your dose is below the basket rim

erics
Supporter ★

#30: Post by erics »

Then take the spring out of the portafilter, buy several baskets (they are obviously inexpensive), and "knock" the baskets. Baskets are a disposable item - but, for sure, long term.

The modus operandi certainly depends on YOUR particular routine and the duty cycle you impose on Miss Silvia but this makes multiple drink prep all the more easier, not to mention weighing and distribution.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com