VST Filter Baskets - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HB
Admin

#21: Post by HB »

Spitz.me wrote:Maybe Toronto baristas are behind the mark here, or something to that effect, but in our third wave shops all I see are baristas tamping unsettled grounds. Very few are fidgeting with the grind in the portafilter, and definitely not to the effect most HBers do.
That's not surprising. The WDT and redistribution techniques are good for fixing uneven distributions due to inconsistent grinders or baristas. With enough practice and a good grinder, there's no need for them. I still do a little grounds redistribution to correct for "bad landings" while dosing, but it's been years since I bothered with the WDT.
Dan Kehn

dsblv

#22: Post by dsblv »

tekomino wrote:I don't understand why there is so much vitriol about this, it's a freaking basket! They are well made and give consistent results from basket to basket.
I agree 100%, it's just a basket. Those who have actually tried it seem to be getting good results. I tried the VST basket and found it better than my stock Rancilio basket. I got less blonding and the shot tasted a little better. I was able to use the basket with minimal adjustment.

Considering the cost of the cost of the machines we're using, $25 seems like a small investment to try something new. It's not rocket science, people.

Marshall

#23: Post by Marshall »

dsblv wrote:Those who have actually tried it seem to be getting good results.
That's a big overstatement. Opinions are all over the place among actual owners.

Those who have tried them (including me) are getting lots of different results and are trying to figure out how to get the best use out of them. There are plenty of experiments going on (dose more; grind finer; tamp this way; tamp that way), and users are reaching inconsistent conclusions (they taste better; they taste the same; they taste worse). So, the jury is still out, and some of us still making up our minds.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Spitz.me

#24: Post by Spitz.me »

dsblv wrote:I agree 100%, it's just a basket. Those who have actually tried it seem to be getting good results. I tried the VST basket and found it better than my stock Rancilio basket. I got less blonding and the shot tasted a little better. I was able to use the basket with minimal adjustment.

Considering the cost of the cost of the machines we're using, $25 seems like a small investment to try something new. It's not rocket science, people.
Just because Espresso hounds are willing to make a huge capital expenditure on their road to espresso nirvana, it doesn't mean that other money can be spent so easily 'just because'. $25 can get people almost 2lbs of their favourite espresso, that is a fair investment on something that may not do anything to better your espresso preparation and ultimate cup. No one is saying that these new baskets have made it impossible to achieve amazing and consistent results with the same basket you've been using forever +1 in your home. So, no. This is not a cheap investment and especially not for home baristas that don't need a 'tough as nails' basket.

I'm sorry, but 'the shot tasted a little better' isn't anything to write home about... Anything could have impacted the little difference in flavour from the VST compared to the shot from the other... anything.
LMWDP #670

shadowfax

#25: Post by shadowfax »

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that no, if you think $25 is a significant amount to spend on a well-made basket that, at best, just might improve your espresso (but also just as well might make little or no difference at all), you should steer clear from these baskets.
Nicholas Lundgaard

HB
Admin

#26: Post by HB »

As a reminder, the original poster bought the VST basket and asked for tips on using it:
innermusic wrote:Anyone master them? I just bought the 18g basket today.
In that spirit, I ask that only those who have actually used one contribute to this thread. For those who want to comment on the VST baskets more generally, please refer to the existing thread as it likely has covered the same points (and in many cases, more than once). Thanks.
Dan Kehn

dsblv

#27: Post by dsblv »

Regarding the original question, you'll probably have to grind a little finer than with your previous basket. Otherwise, I didn't make any other changes. Personally, I found that the basket reduced blonding and channeling compared to my stock Rancilio basket.

I would recommend reviewing the discussion on CoffeeGeek. It provides good tips on using the baskets and provides feedback from people who have actually tried the basket.

CoffeeGeek article: https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/artic ... mns/528209

iginfect

#28: Post by iginfect »

I've found that scrupulously drying the VST after flushing the hx both inside and on the bottom(naked pf) decreases or prevents channeling.

Marvin

Marshall

#29: Post by Marshall »

iginfect wrote:I've found that scrupulously drying the VST after flushing the hx both inside and on the bottom(naked pf) decreases or prevents channeling.
Quoting myself from the other day:
As a general proposition any new espresso equipment that increases the rituals for shot preparation is a step backward.
That being said, at Jon's urging in a PM, I took one of my VSTs off the shelf and tried some of the techniques recommended in the CG thread. Using the Synesso-style 17g basket with the finest grind I have ever tried on my GS/3 (and no special rituals), I did get very good results, with unusual clarity of flavor.

But I did need to grind the coffee down nearly to dust, where it flew around some. I'll be experimenting a bit more.
Marshall
Los Angeles

da gino

#30: Post by da gino »

Marshall wrote:As a general proposition any new espresso equipment that increases the rituals for shot preparation is a step backward. Engineering "advances" should simplify the process.
I'll quote you, too, Marshall. I don't think this general rule holds at all. If there were a piece of espresso equipment that cost $25, required 30 seconds more work, but clearly created far better shots than otherwise possible I think 90% of us would buy it without blinking. I know I would. I think engineering advances should lead to better espresso or cost savings first, simplification of the process comes at best third.

I don't know if these baskets require more work or produce better shots, but I'll buy more than one if it turns out that they do create better shots (I haven't tried one yet so I can only address them hypothetically - but the positive posts from respected baristas has me very tempted to change that).