VST Filter Baskets - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Yeti

#11: Post by Yeti »

JonR10 wrote:I find that using a slightly convex distribution and a flat tamper is giving me best results.
Then set the hopper lid edge on the centerline and rotate to create the concave distribution.
Convex, concave? Assuming you meant concave in both?

innermusic (original poster)

#12: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

Thanks Jon. I had no idea that those nifty plastic things were $100...wow! Great idea about using the hopper; I'll give that a try. Meanwhile today I just gave up on the VST and went back to my old cheap flawed basket that I know and that gives me good results.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
innermusic (original poster)

#13: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

The other problem is I had my machine scaced yesterday as well, and made some adjustments to PID offset (3 degrees F) and pressure (1/2 bar) so now there have been just too many changes at once to know what contribution the basket is making. A cautionary tale for others.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

Marshall

#14: Post by Marshall »

JonR10 wrote:I find that using a slightly convex distribution and a flat tamper is giving me best results.

If you're like me then you do NOT have Scottie's $100 plastic dosing tools, so you might try using your grinder's hopper lid to get the distribution right.

Since your pour starts so slow maybe try ~17g at the same grind setting. Start with 17.5g to 18g in the basket and tap or shake lightly to settle so the coffee grounds are setting flat. Then set the hopper lid edge on the centerline and rotate to create the concave distribution. Tamp once, straight down (I never twist or tap or polish).
As a general proposition any new espresso equipment that increases the rituals for shot preparation is a step backward. Engineering "advances" should simplify the process. I'm sure Vince did not have this sort of procedure in mind when he brought these baskets to market, especially since they were designed for busy commercial use. In other words there must be a simpler way to get the best out of them.
Marshall
Los Angeles

JonR10

#15: Post by JonR10 »

Yeti wrote:Convex, concave?
Sorry, it is CONCAVE.
Previous post corrected for accuracy.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

JonR10

#16: Post by JonR10 »

Marshall wrote:In other words there must be a simpler way to get the best out of them.
Read the rest of my post please.

Pro baristas use a finger and swipe.
I personally leave the distribution concave from my normal WDT procedure.

The hopper (or doser) lid notion is a replacement for those who might use Scottie's method but don't want to spend the big bux for the special curved dosing tools, and a suggestion for someone who doesn't WDT or may not yet be consistent with a finger swipe.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

JonR10

#17: Post by JonR10 »

And since the vultures appear to be circling already, I'll stop posting on this thread now.
I have no appetite for another heated debate in these forums.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
Spitz.me

#18: Post by Spitz.me »

All of the feedback, quite frankly, whether negative or positive, points to the fact that they're NOT NEEDED.

Anyone boasting the fact that they can 'taste' a difference hasn't really convinced anyone that's been complaining about the price and/or need to change habits/dosing.

Maybe Toronto baristas are behind the mark here, or something to that effect, but in our third wave shops all I see are baristas tamping unsettled grounds. Very few are fidgeting with the grind in the portafilter, and definitely not to the effect most HBers do. It sounds like if a barista needs to take more care in their dosing because of a basket change and the changes to the 'AVERAGE CUSTOMER' are going to be completely negligible or non-existent... suffice it to say... it's a waste of time. However, the cafes will mostly be purchasing due to durability, considering no one's proven that the baskets 'change the world of espresso.'
LMWDP #670

Yeti

#19: Post by Yeti »

Wasn't a vulture Jon, just looking for clarity as someone new to the game might be reading your post and get confused.

tekomino

#20: Post by tekomino »

I don't understand why there is so much vitriol about this, it's a freaking basket! They are well made and give consistent results from basket to basket.

If somebody believes it helps them make better espresso, great, it is not any less real for them because someone else says it does not.

What? I keep chicken foot above my machine! It helps me make exception espresso! There!
Refuse to wing it! http://10000shots.com