VST Basket Longevity

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
walr00s
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by walr00s »

Someone mentioned something about how long these last in another thread recently, and I can't seem to find any direct information about how often I should plan to replace my VST baskets. Are they rated for a certain number of uses?

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob »

I've been using mine for over 4 years now (three plus times a day), even throw them in the dishwasher every night...still going strong!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

The generic (not VST) basket ratings I've seen (40k shots) work out to about 25 years of heavy home use ... but if you must, buy two, make sure that they match flow rates, keep one unused in a drawer, and compare every few years.

Also: What Causes a Broken Basket?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Baskets do ware and the holes will slowly enlarge from erosion over time but it takes a lot of shots. In a home setting, the baskets will probably outlast you.
Dave Stephens

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would say that if you regularly clean a VST basket and you see no signs of metal fatigue that you're good to go.
As previously stated, they'll probably out last you. Ours is over 6-yrs old and going strong at 2-shots per day minimum.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

I have three springless 15-gram VST baskets that I cycle through during the day. Most days I pull three 15-gram espressos; if I make a different number, I just continue the cycle the next day. This procedure removes any anxiety about wearing them out before my time.