Volume of coffee to put in the portafilter - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
hbuchtel

#11: Post by hbuchtel »

malachi wrote: 2 - different coffees have different weights per volume (or vice versa)
Hey Chris, I'm curious about this one- have you observed any general rules for this weight/volume relationship?

I guess it would be more of an issue for people who empty the grinder for every shot then those who dose by volume with a full hopper.

Regards, Henry
LMWDP #53

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

godlyone wrote:...how would I straight level if the grinds are lower than the top of the portafilter?
These threads from the unabridged FAQs and Favorites discussion several options:
That said, most of these threads rely on the WDT to even things out. A better approach, assuming you have a clump-free grinder, is to focus on dosing correctly in the first place. Andy's How to Tame a Messy Mazzer Doser make it much easier to control the landing, thereby dosing neatly along the basket perimeter and avoiding the need to redistribute. Lately I've been doing that with maybe a very slight shake-shake. It works, but requires more practice than the foolproof WDT.
Dan Kehn

malachi

#13: Post by malachi »

davidr88 wrote:14g is classed as a double shot, the 17-18g shot we are talking of is called updosing.
incorrect. all shots produced using a double basket are double shots.
with some coffees, some baskets and some machines - 14g is a "mid point" dose.
with others, 17g is a "mid point" dose.

beware dogma
What's in the cup is what matters.

malachi

#14: Post by malachi »

hbuchtel wrote:Hey Chris, I'm curious about this one- have you observed any general rules for this weight/volume relationship?
Nope.

Haven't explored this yet - just rough theories.
What's in the cup is what matters.