Videos of espresso extractions - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#31: Post by cannonfodder »

You are still getting side channeling, the shot starts from the sides and works its way in. it will be interesting to see what kind of change you get using the WDT. What kind of tamper/grinder are you using? I have had similar problems with an ill fitted tamper.
Dave Stephens

HunkaBurninLove

#32: Post by HunkaBurninLove »

cannonfodder wrote:What kind of tamper/grinder are you using? I have had similar problems with an ill fitted tamper.
The grinder is a Mazzer Mini. Setting is about 2 markings left of the "zero" line.

I've got 2 tampers (Home Barista flat, and Reg Barber convex) and can't remember which one I used here :roll:

If it was the flat one, I'd use a NSEW+vertical tamp. If it was a convex, I'd just go with a vertical tamp.

Advertisement
HB (original poster)
Admin

#33: Post by HB (original poster) »

For your viewing pleasure, the board now supports "[gvideo]" and "[youtube]" tags for embedding videos within your post. See Uploading video files for HB for details.

From One week with the La Marzocco GS3
«missing video»
Dan Kehn

Dogshot

#34: Post by Dogshot »

I thought I would join in the fun.

This is a shot of 2-day old Yirgacheffe roasted just into 2nd crack. 15 grams, WDT with a flat tamper (Brewtus II and Macap M4 stepless). In keeping with Dan's preference for verisimilitude over beauty-shots, this is my first video of an extraction. Hopefully both the pours and the camera work will improve in time.

«missing video»

okaychatt

#35: Post by okaychatt »

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread and am learning a lot. Keep it coming, guys.
Kay

cannonfodder
Team HB

#36: Post by cannonfodder »

Looks like your distribution or tamp favored one side of the portafilter. How much volume was that shot (to the top of the crema)? It looked to be flowing pretty fast, more than two ounces. You had a couple of channeling jets. I would try tightening up your grind or increasing your tamp pressure. Bottomless portafilters are wonderful learning tools.
Dave Stephens

HB (original poster)
Admin

#37: Post by HB (original poster) »

Thanks pravspresso for your willingness to share the less than perfect extraction. Allow me to add my John Madden style commentary to Dave's observations:

First sign of trouble - beading is uneven

Behind the stream you can see that the center extraction is slow

The one you show your friends
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
pravspresso

#38: Post by pravspresso »

AHHAH..

thanx guys. i'm still a newbie and learning.

I'm going to take this advice and practice couple times a day. (holiday time of course)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#39: Post by cannonfodder »

In the interest of 'we have all been there' allow me show three still photos of three different shots.

Dave Stephens

LeoZ

#40: Post by LeoZ »

my 3 part addition to this thread..

First is my old krups machine, with 'not fresh' beans, and ground a few days prior at the store where i used to buy them. boy have i come a long way!

i troubleshot the terrible extraction to be from stale beans.

i dont have a good vid cam, so these are all from my camera, no sound either :/