Vacuum Food Sealer for Coffee Beans? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Mrbiglzwerth

#11: Post by Mrbiglzwerth »

Peppersass wrote:Definitely better to go with mason jars if you buy an external sealer like a FoodSaver. The special quilted bags for that kind of sealer end up costing a lot over the long run, and I believe they're not thick enough to resist punctures, as has been pointed out.

I use a VacMaster chamber sealer, which uses very cheap bags that come in a variety of thicknesses, most of which are very durable. The machine is much, much more expensive, but in the long run it evens out with the cost of the bags. The reason I went that way is because I also use the sealer for sous vide as well as sealing for food storage. One thing you can do with a chamber sealer that you can't do with an external sealer is seal liquid or semi-liquid foods.

That said, I had to repair the cheap power supply in my VacMaster 115, and now the sealing bar isn't working, so yet another item to repair on my work bench. Customer service from that company isn't great, so if I ever buy another sealer I'll be looking at other brands.
I wanted to purchase the same chamber sealer (for sous vide) but I couldn't justify the price or the space required. I'm currently using a food saver v2244 but it doesn't vacuum all the air out. Pretty annoying!

bettysnephew

#12: Post by bettysnephew »

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:For vacuumed sealed jars, does it matter if the jar is only half full? Also, is it better to have several small jars or one large jar that I take some out of, repump air out, and place back in the freezer?
I pack full quart jars and vac/freeze them. Any partial quart is broken down in small single dose containers. In my case, when the first set of doses are used up I then open a quart jar and break it down to individual doses and vac seal/freeze those doses in small jelly jars for daily use. I only do this to make my morning routine easier for me. A bit OCD I guess. :lol: Others just weigh out of the larger jars and may or may not refreeze. I live alone and only do 1 or 2 shots daily so have the impression my coffee is more consistent from the start to the end of the quart doing this. It may make no difference whatsoever but it is my impression that it helps so I have continued this regimen after retiring.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Advertisement
jpender

#13: Post by jpender »

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:For vacuumed sealed jars, does it matter if the jar is only half full?
A jar half filled with beans has about twice as much air space as a full one. If you were using an expensive chamber vacuum sealer which pulls a very strong vacuum the difference would be negligible. But the less expensive FoodSaver type of sealers only pull something like 80% of the air out so it would be a bigger difference. A liter sized jar filled with beans has about 350ml of empty space in between the beans. If the jar is only half full you have about 675ml of air space. So if you vacuum out 80% of the air the difference would be an effective 70ml versus 135ml or atmospheric pressure air.

Would that matter? I don't know. My guess is nobody here really knows how much air is too much under what conditions.

CoolBeanz

#14: Post by CoolBeanz »

I just posted a similar thread and a member shared this with me in the thread,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772 ... UTF8&psc=1

it's a vacuum pump for the mason jars. pretty smart.