Using temperature strip on a milk pitcher

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Catherwood

#1: Post by Catherwood »

Could a group head temperature strip be applied to the side of a milk pitcher to read the milk temperature when steaming milk?
Seems like an easy way to get consistency of temperature.
Anyone tried? Good idea or bad idea?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I like to hit within a 5 C / 10 F window. I also steam different volumes of milk, so the heating rate changes between large and small batches. I don't know how fast the strips respond compared to tens of seconds for steaming milk. Even the quick-read electronics have enough delay that I "cut" 1-2 C early.

I do recall a color-changing, milk pitcher many years ago, but didn't buy it. It was pretty expensive compared to a good thermometer ($18 or so), as I recall.

A quick search found TempTag Pro (~$15) and the Smart Pitcher (~$27) on Amazon US. I can't comment past what is there.

I do believe a thermometer of some sort is valuable, even if just to recheck your "feel" periodically.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I'm not sure the temperature strips color change would keep up with steaming the milk to be able to use it to stop frothing.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

If you get into the habit of holding the pitcher handle with one hand and your free hand on the side of the pitcher you will find that it is easy to sense the temperature and that will free you to watch the milk instead of the thermometer on the side of the pitcher.

TIP: If you intend to use the stick-on thermometer, do NOT put it on the bottom of the pitcher! :lol:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

MntnMan62

#5: Post by MntnMan62 »

Why not just use those thermometers that you see baristas always using? I'm currently using a meat thermometer but plan to buy one of those pen thermometers that can clip to the side of the pitcher. I heat mine on the stove and then froth manually. Works pretty darn well.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

Why not just use those thermometers that you see baristas always using?
++1 I use a milk thermometer every time, ever since a barista instructor proved to me that most of us could not consistently come even close to the temperatures we thought we were feeling with our hands.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I am a big fan of the Decent Digital thermometer. One of my favorite tools.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Advertisement
DamianWarS

#8: Post by DamianWarS »

Catherwood wrote:Could a group head temperature strip be applied to the side of a milk pitcher to read the milk temperature when steaming milk?
Seems like an easy way to get consistency of temperature.
Anyone tried? Good idea or bad idea?
If think it would be a good idea if your heating milk up slowly like on a stove but I'm not so sure it would be able to keep up with heating speeds from a stream wand. However with that said they make them built into jugs and I can't imagine it is more responsive than the ones you stick on so it's worth a shot. I live in Asia and I just searched for one of these built in ones online and it will cost me about $7-8 for a 600 ml. I would just buy one of these units online over the sticker version (and I might now that I know it's so cheap)

Catherwood (original poster)

#9: Post by Catherwood (original poster) »

^
Made this post after seeing the pitchers with the temp strip integrated into the body of the pitcher that you mentioned. I have a few thermometers but am drawn to simplicity of having the strip as part of the pitcher.
My E61 machine steams best with a specific pitcher. Other pitchers haven't been as easy or consistent to use. The idea was to use the strip on this specific pitcher. I haven't looked into prices of temp strips or how quick their response time is so I don't know if to makes sense. Maybe you will review the pitcher when you get it.

DamianWarS

#10: Post by DamianWarS replying to Catherwood »

it seems there are already one or two strips out there that already do this.