Unsteady too slow or too fast coffee stream - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sbenyo (original poster)

#11: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

I tried again, this time with beans roasted two days ago. I use Guatemala beans which are very good.

Same thing. No matter how I do it, the coffee comes either too slow or too fast. It's always unsteady stream, shaky, and not strong uniform flow.
It's also either over extracted or under with bad flavors.

I also tested two different grinders (K3, Ceado) which I think eliminates the grinder being the issue.

I don't believe it should be like this. Even if I am not accurate in parameters after so many tries I should at least get once a decent shot. I believe something is with the machine itself is wrong.

alexeyga

#12: Post by alexeyga »

Looks like it's time for an "espresso machine whisperer".... :mrgreen: Do you have any friends who are really obsessed with the espresso that they make themselves?

What's your dozing and tamping routine?

liquidmetal

#13: Post by liquidmetal »

EDIT: Nvm, reread original post

sbenyo (original poster)

#14: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

My routine (using thermometer):

1. Machine is on for about 40mins. Temp reaches 100c
2. Flush till 94c
3. Grind about 18g. Dose light twice to make the pack tight and even. I play with Dose and tamping. Something I dose less tamp harder. Sometimes I dose more and tamp lighter.
4. Flush again to 94c.
5. Wait a few second for temp to stable. and pull the shot.
6. Also tried the same with pre-infusion of about 7sec. No difference.

Dose and tamp do affect flow but it's either too fast or too slow always unsteady with coffee not extracted right (also flavor is not best).

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has enough experience to try himself or advise. If I won't find the root cause I will have to take it to service.
I suspect something is wrong with water flow.

thecoffeefield

#15: Post by thecoffeefield »

I posted it earlier telling you to consider the pump as a factor, not sure if you saw my post or not. The pump can cause this if it's not pumping water steadily. I had the same problem and I also assumed it's the grinder or the coffee but it was the pump. Try and listen closely to the pump and see if you notice change in the noise it makes during the shot.

*sigh*

#16: Post by *sigh* »

sbenyo wrote:I tried again, this time with beans roasted two days ago. I use Guatemala beans which are very good.

Same thing. No matter how I do it, the coffee comes either too slow or too fast. It's always unsteady stream, shaky, and not strong uniform flow.
It's also either over extracted or under with bad flavors.

I also tested two different grinders (K3, Ceado) which I think eliminates the grinder being the issue.

I don't believe it should be like this. Even if I am not accurate in parameters after so many tries I should at least get once a decent shot. I believe something is with the machine itself is wrong.
2 days is a bit too fresh, give them a few days to rest and things will likely improve some.

Some beans have a very small window where they are ideal for espresso, others have a very large window.

Also, are these light roasted? Sometimes light roasts just have ugly pours no matter what you do (go by taste at this point). You could also try a nice med/med dark espresso blend, they tend to be easier to pull.

alexeyga

#17: Post by alexeyga »

sbenyo wrote:My routine (using thermometer):

1. Machine is on for about 40mins. Temp reaches 100c
2. Flush till 94c
3. Grind about 18g. Dose light twice to make the pack tight and even. I play with Dose and tamping. Something I dose less tamp harder. Sometimes I dose more and tamp lighter.
4. Flush again to 94c.
5. Wait a few second for temp to stable. and pull the shot.
6. Also tried the same with pre-infusion of about 7sec. No difference.

Dose and tamp do affect flow but it's either too fast or too slow always unsteady with coffee not extracted right (also flavor is not best).

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has enough experience to try himself or advise. If I won't find the root cause I will have to take it to service.
I suspect something is wrong with water flow.
Looks like you're in perfect control of what you're doing. And since it's a used machine - chances are - it might have issues. Check or just plain replace the pump. OPV might use some attention too.

sbenyo (original poster)

#18: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

Beans are not issue. I used different ones all fresh for several days. I also used different grinders and settings.
It believe it's the pump or OPV or the 3-way selenoid (I am not sure about this one, but I saw someone mentioning it).

I may just go and replace the pump. I need to see if it's easy enough to do. I don't want to mess with it if it's too difficult.

It an Izzo Vivi. It uses Ulka vibratory pump. Any recommendation what pump I should look for? The pump is kind of hidden at the bottom and I can't see which one is installed now.