Unscrewing the portafilter spout? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Psyd

#11: Post by Psyd »

Vad wrote: I will start with freezer/boiling water. And if it fails I will try to put it in a clamp as itsallaroundyou suggest. Then if that fails, I will go to a local carsmith and ask him what he could do to unscrew it :)
So, Vad, how did it go?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Vad (original poster)

#12: Post by Vad (original poster) »

I tried the freezer/hot water thing, and it did not work. I just bent the table's foot that I used as a "clamp". :D Anyway, the portafilter is now in a freezer for a second day, awaiting for the moment when I find something more durable, to twist it in. If this fails, I will give it to a car-locksmith on monday.

Vad (original poster)

#13: Post by Vad (original poster) »

Tried again now-no luck. Showed it to my car-locksmith and he warned that the material of the spout is soft and looks fragile for such a force that seemed to be necessary to unscrew it. But anyway, I told him to try it tomorrow. Talk about solving the mistery of a screwed spout :)

triptogenetica

#14: Post by triptogenetica »

Psyd wrote:Easier (and better or the nickel/chrome finish) to stick the whole PF in the freezer
Ah, the freezaporto! Mmmmmm... :D
When I had real trouble with this (unscrewing a portafilter), I put the spouts on a flat hard surface, put a plank of wood on top, and my foot on top of that. Then I pulled the handle. (But of course, if you have a clamp / vise - go for it). My method probably only suits double spouts, though...

Vad (original poster)

#15: Post by Vad (original poster) »

Hehe, nice video :) He can also re-use the coffee again, after drying it. So he can get even more of that great yellow-white goodness.

Yes, I tried applying some force, and it did not move. That is why I give it to the guy with a vise. He said he will try to sprinkle some "releaser" on the thread. I guess I will have a long cleaning session, it it works out.

chipman

#16: Post by chipman »

Why go to all the trouble if the threads are fighting you? Why not just soak it in cafiza and then use a steam wand cleaner or even a pipe cleaner to take care of the insides?

http://sweetmarias.com/prod.coffeecleaner.php

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

The threads portafilter spouts I've dealt with were sealed with Loctite Red or similar. It takes a considerable amount of force to break the thread sealant, so much so that I thought the portafilter handle might snap. I doubt soaking in espresso cleaner would make any difference; searching on remove Loctite red turned up some possibilities (heat it to 500F? Yikes!). That said, a vice with padded faces has worked every time and none have broken or bent yet (La Marzocco, La Spaziale, Faema-style, Rancilio, etc.).
Dan Kehn

Vad (original poster)

#18: Post by Vad (original poster) »

chipman wrote:Why go to all the trouble if the threads are fighting you? Why not just soak it in cafiza and then use a steam wand cleaner or even a pipe cleaner to take care of the insides?
I just want it to be removable any time I wanted, in the future. For that I need it to be easily unscrewed. :)
HB wrote:That said, a vice with padded faces has worked every time and none have broken or bent yet (La Marzocco, La Spaziale, Faema-style, Rancilio, etc.).
Thank you for the calming words. Anyway, you are not to blame if the spout breaks during the attempt, I will not blame anyone :)

Vad (original poster)

#19: Post by Vad (original poster) »

I got a call from a car-locksmith now. He said that the spout is now unscrewed. He used a vice and a considerable amount of force (I don't know which side though :wink: hopefully not the Dark one).
Thank you all for the advices.

CRCasey

#20: Post by CRCasey »

May the spoutless be with you.
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244