Unimodal donut extractions - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

maccompatible wrote:But with darker roasts, especially this one, my preference is usually 1:2 in ~30 seconds. 1:2.5 in 24s tastes weak, sour, and roasty.
I'd suggest two things:

Go with the ratio you enjoy or even shorter. Don't try to stretch it out to 25 seconds. Don't be surprised if the shot is over in 15-20 seconds.

Higher "clarity" burrs are very unforgiving of defects in beans or roasts. The don't magically enhance just the "good" flavors. Like milk, traditional espresso burrs can hide a wide variety of flavor defects. You may need to step up your choice of roasters and, within their range, which offering you choose.

If you prefer the more traditional flavors and textures, I'd stay away from more aggressive burrs like the 64 MPs in the P64 and stick with the stock steels, 64 HUs, or maybe the Cast v2 (or Mizen, which I'm still waiting for, so can't comment).

maccompatible (original poster)

#12: Post by maccompatible (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Go with the ratio you enjoy or even shorter. Don't try to stretch it out to 25 seconds. Don't be surprised if the shot is over in 15-20 seconds.
Interesting. Will have to try shorter times and see how it goes.
Jeff wrote:traditional espresso burrs can hide a wide variety of flavor defects. You may need to step up your choice of roasters and, within their range, which offering you choose.
I'm the roaster. I hope that's not the problem XD
Jeff wrote:stick with the stock steels, 64 HUs, or maybe the Cast v2 (or Mizen, which I'm still waiting for, so can't comment).
My P64 will be coming with Mizen. I'm super excited because while I enjoy the texture, I feel like the Vario ceramics never delivered much clarity or sweetness. So I'm really looking forward to the promises the Mizen burrs make.

To be honest, I hadn't done a ton of research on HOW unimodal the Vario steels would be. It kinda caught me off guard how different they were and now it feels like I'm trying to figure out how to pull a shot again. The time advice I hadn't heard yet, so I'll give that a go.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628