Trying to keep a slower flow through entire shot

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

Trying a different blend of beans that is a medium roast. After a few sink shots, was pretty happy with the outcome (flavor) on the drinkable ones. On most blends I use, temp is anywhere from 199° to 202°. Grams in on most blends is anywhere from 16.5g to 18g, stopping the shot between 27-28 seconds out, weighing (out) usually 31-33g.
On this newer blend, 201° temp, 17g, 25 seconds out. Started out slow, but then stream of espresso came out a little faster than I would like. I"m wondering if I coarsened the grind and added more grams if that would thicken & slow the stream? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.
(Barrington Gold roast)

daviddecristoforo

#2: Post by daviddecristoforo »

If you have an e61 machine, you might consider installing a flow control device. Then you are the master of the flow rate!

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to daviddecristoforo »

As you can see by my machines listed, I don't have an E61, have an Elizabeth. I guess I will just play around. I might try adding more grams of beans and then make the grind coarser. Sigh.......

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Grinding finer and using less coffee can also slow the flow

#5: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to cafeIKE »

I'm pretty fine on my grinder right now--don't want the burrs to touch--could happen if I go much finer. I see so many recipes where people use as "normal" 18-19 grams of beans. My normal use which works great for "most" beans is 16.5 to 18g. That is why I thought if maybe more beans and coarser grind (not a lot coarser) would slow it.

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

Adding coffee and grinding coarser reduces headspace. Reduced headspace is seldom preferred here. Have you tried a larger basket? You can keep the same grind and dose higher.

Without coffee in the grinder, do you hear the burrs chirp at current setting? If no, you can go finer until they do. Realize the beans hold the burrs apart so they are not in danger with coffee in the machine.

If you have old ground coffee remaining in the grinder, that may cause faster flow at the end.
I'm guessing that you need to purge 3-5 g with that grind path :?: Are you?

WDT may help.

Did you futz with your grinder after your earlier topic?

#7: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to cafeIKE »

I always release/purge extra grounds after every use. I know I have my grinder at a place where I don't want to go finer as I can hear the burrs touch when I go a little finer. Not worth it. No, don't hear my burrs chirp at current setting. Where I bought this machine (Seatlle Coffee Gear), the tech told me that it would be more of a screeching sound when burrs touched. May need a larger basket for various blends--have the baskets that came with the filter holder that came with the Elizabeth. Thanks.

TigerStripes

#8: Post by TigerStripes »

Let flavor be your guide. Try updosing / downdosing, grinding coarser and finer until you find what you like best. :D
LMWDP #715

DeGaulle

#9: Post by DeGaulle »

chanty 77 wrote:Trying a different blend of beans that is a medium roast. After a few sink shots, was pretty happy with the outcome (flavor) on the drinkable ones. On most blends I use, temp is anywhere from 199° to 202°. Grams in on most blends is anywhere from 16.5g to 18g, stopping the shot between 27-28 seconds out, weighing (out) usually 31-33g.
On this newer blend, 201° temp, 17g, 25 seconds out. Started out slow, but then stream of espresso came out a little faster than I would like. I"m wondering if I coarsened the grind and added more grams if that would thicken & slow the stream? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.
(Barrington Gold roast)
What you are seeing is more or less inherent to espresso-making because part of the coffee dissolves, so the resistance to the liquid flow is reduced. On a lever machine this is mitigated by the uncoiling of the spring which causes the pressure to decline. A flow control device can have a similar effect.

I have seen the increase in flow rate on my machine as well, which is a simple HX machine that ramps the pressure straight to 9+ bar without any extended preinfusion. The rate of flow increase seems to depend somewhat on the basket and the grinder that I use. If I use a 17 g Strada basket and dose 17.5 g (it doesn't hold much more) versus 15 grams in a 14 grams LM precision basket, then the increase seems less with the latter. If I use my Kinu hand grinder, the flow increase seems less than with my electric grinders. I can't explain exactly, but since shots from the Kinu have more clarity of flavor, my guess is that the particle size deviation is smaller.
Just my 0.02.
Bert

#10: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Thanks. Will have to check what the basket size that came with my Lelit Elizabeth is.