Trouble pulling shots with IMS single baskets - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jubarim

#11: Post by jubarim »

F1 wrote:Those single baskets require ninja skills.
I guess... I will keep trying, one day maybe

Just for you to know what happens:

The water seems to find a path in the corners of the filter... so I can't imagine this filter working unless you fill it with more than 9.5g. Or perhaps tamping with lots, lots of pressure? (I don't think so...)

doublehelix

#12: Post by doublehelix »

jubarim wrote:Any tips for us? :wink:
Wish I did....
Thanks for asking....I'm not there yet...still in the forest....
Early next year I'll have some time to try to nail this basket and I'll report back what I've found.

doublehelix

#13: Post by doublehelix »

jubarim wrote:I guess... I will keep trying, one day maybe

Just for you to know what happens:

<image>

The water seems to find a path in the corners of the filter... so I can't imagine this filter working unless you fill it with more than 9.5g. Or perhaps tamping with lots, lots of pressure? (I don't think so...)
Wow--that is a really revealing image.....tamping technique may be really, really critical. But, single dose baskets are notoriously demanding in every way....
One experiment to try is layering grounds of different fine-ness. Maybe a few grams of coarse grounds on the bottom, followed by the usual particle size on top? A PITA, but could be fun? I'll see if I can try this.....

Sideshow

#14: Post by Sideshow »

I have one of these baskets. Although I don't use it too often, I did have some success with certain types of shots. For me, the key was to pull single ristrettos. When I tried to pull single normales, things fell appart in much the same way as described here. I think whether your single basket is conducive to pulling ristrettos or normales has to do with the shape, with the cone design more conducive to ristrettos. I'm not sure what brew ratio people are aiming for, but trying to shoot for single ristrettos may help.

jubarim

#15: Post by jubarim »

doublehelix wrote:Wow--that is a really revealing image.....tamping technique may be really, really critical. But, single dose baskets are notoriously demanding in every way....
One experiment to try is layering grounds of different fine-ness. Maybe a few grams of coarse grounds on the bottom, followed by the usual particle size on top? A PITA, but could be fun? I'll see if I can try this.....
Wow... interesting... well, I'll wait for your tests next year!

jubarim

#16: Post by jubarim »

Sideshow wrote:I have one of these baskets. Although I don't use it too often, I did have some success with certain types of shots. For me, the key was to pull single ristrettos. When I tried to pull single normales, things fell appart in much the same way as described here. I think whether your single basket is conducive to pulling ristrettos or normales has to do with the shape, with the cone design more conducive to ristrettos. I'm not sure what brew ratio people are aiming for, but trying to shoot for single ristrettos may help.
Hi! I was aiming for a normal (9,5g coffee -> 19/20g of beverage)...

Maybe you are right... I was sold the idea that if you use the double IMS filter and change to the single, the extraction would be the same. The IMS double is an excellent filter, but it is not as simple as changing the filter and putting half the amount of coffee...

brianl

#17: Post by brianl »

Sideshow wrote:I have one of these baskets. Although I don't use it too often, I did have some success with certain types of shots. For me, the key was to pull single ristrettos. When I tried to pull single normales, things fell appart in much the same way as described here. I think whether your single basket is conducive to pulling ristrettos or normales has to do with the shape, with the cone design more conducive to ristrettos. I'm not sure what brew ratio people are aiming for, but trying to shoot for single ristrettos may help.
This is how I use it. 10g -> 10g shot. I also have a 5-star pro tamper so tamping isn't an issue for me. I have actually never tried to pull a normale on it.

jubarim

#18: Post by jubarim replying to brianl »

I am also using a very nice tamper, with leveling and springs to help. So next step is trying a ristretto.

csepulv (original poster)

#19: Post by csepulv (original poster) »

I've ordered a Decent Espresso 10g single basket; it has a different shape and hold pattern. I will see if it is any easier and report back.
Chris

jubarim

#20: Post by jubarim replying to csepulv »

Nice, please post back when you test it :-)