Trouble getting good extraction time at the right pressure...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HCS

#1: Post by HCS »

My flow generally comes out faster than it should. I am putting in ~16-18g and getting out ~55, in around 18 sec. An under extraction. My target is ~16g in to ~35g out. Naturally, I make the grind finer and hold all else constant. The issue is that while I can approach these target numbers, the machine's bar then begins to max out at 15. This doesn't seem right. I have been trying to ignore, but I am regularly reminded in discussion groups and videos that 9bar is a generally good pressure to use.

So, how is it that to get the extraction time right, the pressure needs to be so high? And is there any solution or tricks you suggest? My coffee is very fresh (2 weeks from the roaster) and is dark. The machine is a newish Ascaso PID and grinder a Ceado e37s.

Appreciate your views.

iseebirdsfly

#2: Post by iseebirdsfly »

What machine are you using? Usually machines just don't go above 10 bars and the over-pressure is taken off by OPV (over pressure valve). Even if I put blind portafilter the pressure stays at 10 bar but water start flowing from OPV (it flows into drip tray on MaraX so its visible). Maybe your OPV does not work.

Advertisement
Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

I am putting in ~16-18g
That is a huge range. If you are working at being more consistent you will need to weigh to the nearest 0.1g. SO step 1 is to get a better scale.
the machine's bar then begins to max out at 15

If you are actually seeing that pressure during extraction you are likely grinding too fine.
The machine is a newish Ascaso PID and grinder a Ceado e37s
Is the grinder also fairly new?
My coffee is very fresh (2 weeks from the roaster)
You bought it two weeks ago from the roaster, or was it actually roasted two weeks ago?

If I was forced to give a solution right now, I would say use more coffee and grind more coarse. But we need more data.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Urupackers

#4: Post by Urupackers »

Ascaso have many models of espresso machines and depending on the model of your machine, maybe it can have an OPV, over pressure valve, to adjust the pressure to 9, you can look in the manual or contact the seller or the service of the machine to see this.