Trouble Dialing in Espresso

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
umarharith

#1: Post by umarharith »

Hi all.

I have been working as a barista for 4 months (I'm still a beginner) and have the basic knowledge of dialling in espresso. I have worked with commercial machines & grinders at work, but I am struggling to dial in a home machine.

I am currently helping my cousin to dial in espresso with his machine which is a Breville BES920 with Breville Smart Grinder Pro. I used 18g of coffee at the finest setting on the grinder. However, the shot took just 19 seconds to reach the 1:2 ratio and the pressure went up to 7 bars only.

Are there any solution to get my shot to 25 seconds? I have already tried to adjust the top burr of the grinder to the 4 setting as shown in the youtube link below, but that doesn't solve my problem. Also, I am using fresh beans which usually two days after the roast date.
Would appreciate if you can give me some tips to improve my shot with this setup.

Thanks,
Umar

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B

You're probably on the right track of grind finer.

As I recall the Breville video, there are three positions. You may need to use the finest one.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

...and use fresh coffee. Store bought coffee that has a "best by" date is usually stale. Don't confuse "freshly opened" with "fresh". Finally, check the roast date; ideally it should be 2 weeks or less. If there's no roast date, it's usually stale coffee.
Dan Kehn