Trouble dialing in espresso - pours too quickly

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
toperweyn

#1: Post by toperweyn »

Hi, Everyone!

I badly need your help in pulling a nice shot of espresso. My grinder setting is in the finest setting already; my coffee is fresh, and crema is there, but why do I keep getting a 30g espresso shot below 20 seconds?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

Are you using a 3rd party EDIT: *single*-wall (non-pressurized) basket? Assume you are .. as the grinder should be able to do pressurized baskets fine.. If so.. it might be hard to tell what its capacity and quality is. It is possible the grinder cannot go fine enough for the beans you are using.

Ken5

#3: Post by Ken5 »

What dose are you starting with? If your basket can hold a little more grounds you 'might' be able to get a few more seconds by increasing the dose.

Sure someone else will chime in soon.

toperweyn (original poster)

#4: Post by toperweyn (original poster) »

Hi, Yes, I'm using 3rd party double-wall (non-pressurized) bottomless basket. Is it advisable to adjust the Top burr of the Smart grinder pro?

jgood

#5: Post by jgood »

1) Whats your dose (in grams)? 2) I believe your grinder has a way to reset the range to go finer -- check the manual for this adjustment. Hopefully your model can do this.

toperweyn (original poster)

#6: Post by toperweyn (original poster) »

Hi, 19g in 30g out. I will try to check the manual.

CafeVenice

#7: Post by CafeVenice »

Just to check, espresso ground should be a bit coarser than powder sugar. If you sense it between your fingers and it's like salt, then it's too coarse. I once used this way to realize that my grinder wasn't grinding fine enough and then adjusted it (with shims in my case).

SEMIJim

#8: Post by SEMIJim »

toperweyn wrote:Hi, Yes, I'm using 3rd party double-wall (non-pressurized) bottomless basket.
Got a couple terminology problems here. Double-wall baskets are pressurized. Single-wall baskets are non-pressurized. Does the basket have holes pretty much all over the bottom? If so: Then it's a single-wall, non-pressurized basket. If it's got holes only in the center it's a double-wall, pressurized basket. Secondly: You can have a bottomless portafilter, in which case the entire bottom of the basket is visible from the bottom. You cannot have a bottomless basket, as there'd be nothing to keep the grind from falling out :)