Triple basket NEVER works

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Samcanadian

#1: Post by Samcanadian »

So I've been having fantastic success lately with the double basket that came with my machine, and recently bought a bottomless PF in order to analyze my pours. The new PF I bought came with a triple basket, and in order to get more into my morning Americano I figured I'd try to use the triple basket for more of a dose. Unfortunately, whereas I get a steady, even, consistent pour with my double basket routine, the exact same routine (with 5 more G of coffee into the basket for a total of 23g) gives me messy, spurting coffees.

My routine for a double basket

Dose 10g
Bang on countertop once
Dose remaining 8g
Use WDT method
Tamp
Flush
Pour
Enjoy

My routine for a triple is the exact same, but with more coffee that ='s 24g

Can anyone point out anything obvious? I can take a video if you'd like, but just imagine a messy shot with spurts and messy tails coming out everywhere.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

Your double basket measurements don't make sense. 10g and 8g are too low for a double. Did you mean 18g?

Also, banging the PF on the counter should not result in loss of 2g, which is huge. Maybe 0.2g of fines leaking through the basket holes, but not 2g.

Advertisement
chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

I think he means that he puts 10 gm then the remaining 8 gms. 18gm all together.

Samcanadian (original poster)

#4: Post by Samcanadian (original poster) »

chipman wrote:I think he means that he puts 10 gm then the remaining 8 gas. 18gm all together.
This.

HH

#5: Post by HH »

What machine/basket brand are you using?
Do you know the recommended dose for your specific triple basket?

It sounds like you're getting lots of channeling with the triple basket, which is likely to be either distribution or dose-related. If your distribution on the double is okay (which it's likely to be based on getting good shots) it's more likely to be dose-related to my mind.

Have you tried any other doses in the triple aside from 23g?
Have you the nickel test to check the headspace is right?

Sorry for all the questions, but good to know where you're at and what you've tried so far.
Henry

Samcanadian (original poster)

#6: Post by Samcanadian (original poster) replying to HH »

It's a Bezzera BZ10 PF with the stock double basket.

The bottomless PF I bought was also Bezzera brand.

I started with 20g dosing on the triple and had the same issues, which is when I went up to 24g to see if there was a difference. I'm not getting shower screen imprints on the 24g shots so I don't think it's too much. I have not tried the nickel test, however. The pucks have not had shower screen imprints yet so I think I could add even more before it hits.

Is there such thing as a quad basket? :lol:

DeGaulle

#7: Post by DeGaulle »

This may be a bit of a long shot, since I have never tried a triple basket on this machine myself, but the more you dose, the longer it takes to infuse the grounds. Since you cannot control (extend) the pre-infusion at low pressure, the pressure ramp-up rate is a given. As a matter of speech, if you reach maximum extraction pressure even before the puck is fully infused, I can imagine the extraction process becomes less forgiving and more prone to channeling. In comparison, an E61 group has a built-in preinfusion mechanism and is known to be more forgiving to dosing /distribution issues. Perhaps by increasing the dose into 20-plus grams territory, you are running into a design constraint of the Bezzera grouphead.
Bert

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#8: Post by Jake_G »

/\+1

Dose what you like if you're not seeing an impression on the spent puck. The back pressure generated by the puck is proportionate its height. It is likely that the taller puck in the triple basket is fracturing under the abrupt ramp up to full brew pressure.

Try grinding coarser and see if this helps.

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704

ben8jam

#9: Post by ben8jam »

What's the benefit of banging the PF on the counter with half the grinds?

Headala

#10: Post by Headala »

I have NEVER been able to use the same grind on 18g double baskets and 22g triples. I always end up having to dial in for the basket. Which is why I don't really use the triple much anymore...