Triple basket NEVER works - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Samcanadian (original poster)

#21: Post by Samcanadian (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Those triple baskets provided with naked portafilters are most of the time of real poor quality. The only use for them is putting beans in them for weighing before grinding when singledosing. If you want a real triple basket then buy a decent one like the VST of IMS and you will get good results.
I dont' know too much about the quality from basket to basket, so I appreciate the advice about it just simply being a case of bad equipment.

BoulderGeek

#22: Post by BoulderGeek »

I also bagged my triple basket. It's not a superior quality unit, I fear.

It always left a soupy gruel, not a cohesive puck. So, back to the doubles.

Do people use naked portafilters all of the time, or just a training tool? Or, is a proper barista always training, and every shot should be naked, to improve upon?

cmin

#23: Post by cmin »

The bottomless for my Profitec came with a triple basket that looks, and feels way cheap and flimsy vs my espresso parts HQ basket or stock Profitec basket.

shanewiebeftr

#24: Post by shanewiebeftr »

BoulderGeek wrote:I also bagged my triple basket. It's not a superior quality unit, I fear.

Do people use naked portafilters all of the time, or just a training tool? Or, is a proper barista always training, end every shot should be naked, to improve upon?
I have the same soupy gross puck when I use the triple that came with my bottomless portafilter. I keep my double basket in my bottomless and I use it all the time. You can tell a lot by how it looks when it comes out. There's a lot of small things that I never would have fixed if I didn't use a bottomless filter.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by daveR1 »

BoulderGeek wrote:.
Do people use naked portafilters all of the time, or just a training tool? Or, is a proper barista always training, end every shot should be naked, to improve upon?
The best barista I know who's helped my technique insists on using a bottomless PF at the cafe to confirm the extractions are up to snuff. He's the most methodical barista I know & pulls consistently good shots no matter how busy the cafe gets.

On the other hand I took a short barista class at another cafe & when it was my turn to pull shots I asked for a bottomless & they said they only used it for backflushing. They also didnt weigh doses, stopped by blonding, didnt measure output & didn't time their shots. Seemed a very imprecise way of working to me.

ben8jam

#26: Post by ben8jam »

BoulderGeek wrote:I also bagged my triple basket. It's not a superior quality unit, I fear.

The basket that came with my Profitec BPF seems to be okay. When I first started I was getting really soupy pucks too - but I found I just needed to keep upping the fineness of the grind. And now there's maybe a tiny amount of water showing after pulling. 19-20g in triple.

As for using bottomless all the time, yes lots of places do this. My local espresso shop uses bottomless VST baskets and gets amazing results. They are constantly adjusting things. I honestly never really understood the double spout PFs. You can't see anything, and why would you want to split your hard earned shot into two glasses?? lol

Radio.YYZ

#27: Post by Radio.YYZ »

Jake_G wrote:Other way, Al. More coffee, more restriction, slower pour. Grinding coarser would be the logical progression, although there are plenty of examples in the tapestry of espresso that tend not too be logical, but correct, nonetheless.

/\+eleventeen.
Good point, but i thought OP was mentioning it was running fast and channeling!

Samcanadian wrote:I'm probably just going to stop using the Triple basket tbh. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.
Heh funny enough i had bought a tripple basket but never ended up using it - my thought was there would be too much drama and waste of beans from going from double shot to tripple shot in a day. If i had two grinders, then sure!
cmin wrote:The bottomless for my Profitec came with a triple basket that looks, and feels way cheap and flimsy vs my espresso parts HQ basket or stock Profitec basket.
Original profitec basket or just a generic bundled basket?
ben8jam wrote:The basket that came with my Profitec BPF seems to be okay. When I first started I was getting really soupy pucks too - but I found I just needed to keep upping the fineness of the grind. And now there's maybe a tiny amount of water showing after pulling. 19-20g in triple.

As for using bottomless all the time, yes lots of places do this. My local espresso shop uses bottomless VST baskets and gets amazing results. They are constantly adjusting things. I honestly never really understood the double spout PFs. You can't see anything, and why would you want to split your hard earned shot into two glasses?? lol
Two glasses when you have people who want smaller drinks strength wise, i am thinking id pull it measuring cup and then distribute!
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

cmin

#28: Post by cmin »

Radio.YYZ wrote: Original profitec basket or just a generic bundled basket?
Guessing some generic bundled one, totally cheap vs my hq or stock profitec baskets.

bmb

#29: Post by bmb »

I'm not an overdosing fan (depending on the coffee, I use from 14 to16gr for a double and 8gr a single) therefore seldom use the triple basket.
However, I always use a scale, and as the coffee get's older, to continue with the same flavor, I prefer to increase the dose instead of grinding finer.
Therefore, from 18gr and on, I use a HQ triple with excellent results.