Triple basket NEVER works - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » Mar 13, 2018, 9:21 pm

ben8jam wrote:What's the benefit of banging the PF on the counter with half the grinds?

This is a pseudo-common practice for up-dosing with fluffy grinds or low-density beans. It allows you to get more grinds into the basket than you could otherwise. Not sure how well it would work in conjunction with WDT, though :? Were I to up-dose with WDT, I would just use a dosing funnel and call it a day. But my machine has no headroom, so up-dose I can't.

That said, if this practice works for the OP, then more power to you!

Cheers!

- Jake

RapidCoffee
Team HB

Postby RapidCoffee » Mar 13, 2018, 11:59 pm

OK, you want more espresso in your Americanos. The obvious solution is to prep two double baskets and pull two good double shots, rather than messing with the triple basket (or trying to cram in extra coffee with the dose/bang/dose puck prep).

It's generally harder to get an even extraction from a triple than a double, because of the taller puck.* You should be able to get a decent pour from your triple basket, but it will generally require adjustment of grind (and possibly dose).

* Thought experiment: a single layer of coffee grinds should produce an even extraction. Adding more layers increases the likelihood of channeling.
John

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » Mar 14, 2018, 12:26 am

Headala wrote:I have NEVER been able to use the same grind on 18g double baskets and 22g triples. I always end up having to dial in for the basket. Which is why I don't really use the triple much anymore...

Exactly,

OP, you have to adjust the grind, your shot with the tripple is probably running too fast so you got to grind finer. You will notice you have to change grind setting from one manufacturer of double basket to another as well.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Jake_G

Postby Jake_G » Mar 14, 2018, 1:21 am

Radio.YYZ wrote:OP, you have to adjust the grind, your shot with the tripple is probably running too fast so you got to grind finer.

Other way, Al. More coffee, more restriction, slower pour. Grinding coarser would be the logical progression, although there are plenty of examples in the tapestry of espresso that tend not too be logical, but correct, nonetheless.

RapidCoffee wrote:... The obvious solution is to prep two double baskets and pull two good double shots, rather than messing with the triple basket (or trying to cram in extra coffee with the dose/bang/dose puck prep).

Not disagreeing with you, but by this logic, shouldn't we all be pulling two good single shots in place of our ubiquitous doubles? :P Is there something about the physics of a double that makes them pull better, or are we all just kind of dialed in on the physics of pulling doubles?

RapidCoffee wrote:* Thought experiment: a single layer of coffee grinds should produce an even extraction. Adding more layers increases the likelihood of channeling.

/\+eleventeen.

Samcanadian

Postby Samcanadian » Mar 14, 2018, 2:15 am

RapidCoffee wrote:OK, you want more espresso in your Americanos. The obvious solution is to prep two double baskets and pull two good double shots, rather than messing with the triple basket (or trying to cram in extra coffee with the dose/bang/dose puck prep).

It's generally harder to get an even extraction from a triple than a double, because of the taller puck.* You should be able to get a decent pour from your triple basket, but it will generally require adjustment of grind (and possibly dose).

* Thought experiment: a single layer of coffee grinds should produce an even extraction. Adding more layers increases the likelihood of channeling.

The really weird thing is that I don't even think I've thought of this until now. Of course! Would much rather auto pilot my way through the process of another double than muck up my grind settings to try to make the triple work.

I think it's worth trying to tweak coarser to see if I can get the triple to work, even once, just to say I did.

And yes, the bang after 10g is to get fluffy grinds down into the basket without spillage/wastage.

JR_Germantown

Postby JR_Germantown » Mar 14, 2018, 8:38 am

Try something different. Stop the two-layer dosing. Stop WDT. Experiment with an alternative method.

Jack

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Mar 14, 2018, 8:54 am

In theory you'd need 50% more volume (and/or time) for PI in a triple than a double.

Wait for the drip to start before hitting the puck with the 9bar. Even then may still need coarser grind.

I say in theory since I never use triples.
Caution! Water, heat, pressure and electricity don't mix! I want an espresso.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

Postby RapidCoffee » Mar 14, 2018, 1:14 pm

Jake_G wrote:Not disagreeing with you, but by this logic, shouldn't we all be pulling two good single shots in place of our ubiquitous doubles? :P Is there something about the physics of a double that makes them pull better, or are we all just kind of dialed in on the physics of pulling doubles?

In theory, yes... but in practice, singles are difficult to master. Not only must grind be adjusted, but many single baskets are tapered, making good distribution and tamping difficult. And of course the volume is only half that of a double...
John

Samcanadian

Postby Samcanadian » Mar 14, 2018, 1:34 pm

JR_Germantown wrote:Try something different. Stop the two-layer dosing. Stop WDT. Experiment with an alternative method.

Jack

I'm probably just going to stop using the Triple basket tbh. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

erik82

Postby erik82 » Mar 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

Those triple baskets provided with naked portafilters are most of the time of real poor quality. The only use for them is putting beans in them for weighing before grinding when singledosing. If you want a real triple basket then buy a decent one like the VST of IMS and you will get good results.