Too much crema?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
funkyhog

#1: Post by funkyhog »

Hi coffee fellows,

I have a Lelit Bianca with a Eureka Mignon Specialita', and, while I like the shots that I pull, I have noticed that there even too much crema.

Now, I am using freshly roasted beans from my local coffee roaster. Could it be that the beans are too fresh? They were roasted 2 to 3 days ago.

Also, I noticed that all of them are rather low in acidity. Is this somehow related to the freshness? Meaning that the acidity might start to build up a week after roasting or so?

Many thanks for your help!

ps. The brew temperature is 94c, the ratio 1:2, and I have tried both with and without preinfusion. It seems that, with a 10 seconds preinfusion at 2 bar, the crema builds up even more once I then crank the pressure up to 10 bar.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

All other things considered equal, the fresher the beans the more the gaseous content. This will relate to both blooming and crema. While most folks here focus on 'fresh' beans, I suspect that this is given that they either don't roast their own or don't have a source of beans that hare roasted within a day or so of purchase. There are quite a few here who opine that for espresso the beans should not be used for about a week. As a roaster, I tend toward this view, and always roast so that my beanssit for at least a few days before using. Even then, I notice about a week of ramp-up to ideal, about a week of really good, then a gradual drop off. I never get to "dropping off the cliff" (stale beans), as they're never around that long. Another factor is the beans you're using. If you're using a blend, what % of robusta is there in it? Robusta is added to blends to increase the amount of crema and caffeine.

That's about all I can think of :D

funkyhog (original poster)

#3: Post by funkyhog (original poster) »

Thank you! It is pure Arabica, no robusta at all. I have the same "issue" with all of three bags of beans that I got: Yirgacheffe, Kaffa (both from Ethiopia) and the third one from Rwanda.

I will see if in the next few days the taste changes and the acidity increases a bit...

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

Get a little espresso spoon. After pulling your excessively crema-laden shot, give it a good stir with the spoon. The crema will dissipate considerably.
LMWDP #748

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by daveR1 »

I buy from a number of roasters and when asked for how long to rest the beans their recommendations have varied from 4-10 days post roast. Lighter roasts seem to take longer.
Also, I'm @ 4500' elevation and beans coming from sea level seem very gassy so I typically wait a week before pulling shots.