To Control Flow or Not?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
1rider

#1: Post by 1rider »

So, I have ordered a new ECM Classika that I hope arrives sometime next week, I am excited for the new equipment. I have been using a lever for a while now which I enjoy, but my wife does not like using it at all. She works form home and would enjoy a midday espresso if it weren't for the lever machine not cooperating for her, hence the pro-sumer machine.

I have not had a machine with flow control before, so I am looking for opinions on whether this would be a worthwhile modification/upgrade to the stock machine. After a quick internet search I saw one ECM flow control kit that was $399.00, seem steep to me for what is included. So, any recommendations on ow to purchase one would be welcome if the consensus is that it's a worthwhile purchase.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Patrick

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Get it! The Coffee Sensor version is cheaper, at least here in Canada, and it's just as good, perhaps better. If nothing else, you have a variable jet (gicleur) that you can either play with, or set and forget (assuming you keep the stock e61 spring). I "dial in" my FCD when I change coffees. On the first shot, I turn the FC slowly open until the flow reaches the maximum it can, and leave it there. When I pull a shot thereafter, I watch the gauge go up to roughly match the pump pressure, then watch it slowly drop as the coffee solids and oils are leached out of the puck. I can see the "blond point" when the needle ceases to drop. Also, if I have a puck problem, such as channeling, I can see that immediately as a quicker than normal drop. Sometimes, I can salvage the shot by turning the control down. I used to mess with the control a lot more, but as time has passed, this is how I use it at least 90% of the time.

SandraF

#3: Post by SandraF »

If you plan on adding flow control to your own brand new machine, I've been told it will void the warranty.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Nunas wrote:Get it! The Coffee Sensor version is cheaper, at least here in Canada
Where did you purchase this from Maurice & approx. price?

TNX
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

1rider (original poster)

#5: Post by 1rider (original poster) »

SandraF wrote:If you plan on adding flow control to your own brand new machine, I've been told it will void the warranty.

I wondered about this, and in speaking with shop I've purchased the machine from they told me it would not void warranty. I had called after my purchase to see if they stocked the ECM/Profitec flow control kit in hopes of adding it to my order, but they don't stock it.

Now if I were to go with another brand of kit it likely will be a different story I think, so I have that to consider.
Cheers,
Patrick

1rider (original poster)

#6: Post by 1rider (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:Get it! The Coffee Sensor version is cheaper, at least here in Canada, and it's just as good, perhaps better. If nothing else, you have a variable jet (gicleur) that you can either play with, or set and forget (assuming you keep the stock e61 spring). I "dial in" my FCD when I change coffees. On the first shot, I turn the FC slowly open until the flow reaches the maximum it can, and leave it there. When I pull a shot thereafter, I watch the gauge go up to roughly match the pump pressure, then watch it slowly drop as the coffee solids and oils are leached out of the puck. I can see the "blond point" when the needle ceases to drop. Also, if I have a puck problem, such as channeling, I can see that immediately as a quicker than normal drop. Sometimes, I can salvage the shot by turning the control down. I used to mess with the control a lot more, but as time has passed, this is how I use it at least 90% of the time.

I have started reading your thread about the flow control and I am looking forward to reading the rest as I've already learned several things. :)
Cheers,
Patrick

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Where did you purchase this from Maurice & approx. price?

TNX
Here's Coffee Addicts in Calgary for eventual comparison: - $260CAD shipped
https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/coffe ... 2525253822
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to baldheadracing »

Thanks Craig!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

SandraF

#9: Post by SandraF »

@1rider - I bought my Synchronika from Clive in Portland. Someone there said this to me. I didn't question his authority to say that, as I'm not really interested in adding it.

jgood

#10: Post by jgood »

I think it depends a lot on what kind of roasts you like. I go for the more traditional dark roast and for me the flow control didn't add much. I took it off and sold it to a fellow HBer. If you're trying to keep it simple for your wife I'd try the machine without it first.
★ Helpful