Tips for Watery Steamed Milk

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
iflutist

#1: Post by iflutist »

Have a Quick Mill Vetrano2B, loving the shots and everything about the machine except I am finding the steamed milk tastes a little watery.

Context:
- Steaming 8oz of 3.5% Whole Millk
- 12oz Toroid Pitcher
- Have tried both stock 2 and 4-hole tips
- I am able to produce latte art
- Steam temperature set at 255
- I have tried two general ways of steaming: 1)stretching more in the beginning and let it swirl till 'green zone' on thermometer 2) slowly introducing air/stretching until 90-110F then swirl 'green zone'
- The shots are tasting normal
- Using Brita water for shots

When texture properly, it tastes fine but just seems slightly watery.

Would love to know what temperature people set their steam at and any other tip would be appreciated!

Chasing the creamy thick steamed milk for the lattés still! Many thanks in advance.

jeffreylam98

#2: Post by jeffreylam98 »

Good steamed milk for latte art should look watery, otherwise is dry cap and say bye bye to latte art

sluflyer06

#3: Post by sluflyer06 »

Off topic but I hope your tap water is soft, Brita does very little to protect your machine.

Sideshow

#4: Post by Sideshow »

My guess is that your not getting enough power/pressure. I believe that the manual states that the steam temp should be set somewhere between 263-65, to get the right steam temp (between 1.5-1.8 bar). I have my machine set at that steam temp; that was the default set by Chris Coffee. Try bumping up the temp to that setting and see what you get.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

Water in the milk is inevitable. Steaming will introduce water into the milk. If you are happy with the steaming time the obvious is to use a higher fat milk. You can add a dash of cream to the milk before you steam it.
Dave Stephens

Renegade

#6: Post by Renegade »

Purge the wand a couple of seconds before steaming milk to evacuate the residual condensation.

If there is more water than steam getting out of the wand even after a couple of seconds, maybe your boiler is overfilling and maybe it is time to inspect for scale on the probe. As stated in the CCS manual, be sure to test your water for hardness and provide a good quality water to the machine to prevent that kind of problem.

Try changing milk brand: you can get very different results from different brands, even if they are all 3.5%.

Check your gadge for steaming power while you are steaming. If it is not in the green zone, you will have a wet steam and your milk will be more liquid. You may suspect a lack of power at the end of the steaming session if you try to steam too much milk with the wrong tip.

Latte art is nice, but it is not the best way to incorporate milk to the coffee. If you want a thicker texture, maybe you should try a different pouring method to incorporate the milk.

wayne0206

#7: Post by wayne0206 »

I have an Alex Duetto 3 and my steam temperature is also set to 255. To find out whether there is too much water get added to your milk, you can do a simple test. If it normally take 30 sec to steam your milk, run the steam at full power in an empty jug for 30 sec. the amount of water you collect is the same got added to your milk.