Tips for pulling singles with the Niche Zero

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

josephjosephjoe wrote: any tips for singles Jim?
I use either the IMS competition single (B70 1T h26.5F) or the LM single. Both have a 41 mm stepped tube within tube design, rather than the cone shape of some other singles. I use a 41 mm tamper. After you dose the basket, scrape the tamper around the outer edge to move all the coffee into the inner basket, then tamp. That's it. If you are OCD, you can repeat the scrape and tamp twice, for a neater looking fill. However any coffee that is strewn on the outer diameter, and not in the inner basket will brew just fine.

The key to good shots is that at least six grams of finely ground coffee form a well tamped puck in the inner basket.

Singles take finer grinds than doubles (although using the same grind in down dosed doubles will usually improve the taste there too).

For instance, on my Niche (YMMV), in order to get the grind setting in the middle of the espresso zone, I use a zero not at their suggested point to the right of the hinge, but at the left hinge. If I were to use the suggested calibration point, my true espresso zone will be negative of their Turkish markings.

Moderator Note:
Topic split from Alternative conical burrs - Niche Zero
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
josephjosephjoe

#2: Post by josephjosephjoe »

thanks!

romlee
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by romlee »

Jim,
I can't seem to find B70 1T h26.5F. I do find a B70 1T h26.5E. Could the latter be the IMS Competition referred to? I'd like to purchase one.

Thanks!
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

I believe the F is just a typo. The last letter refers to hole pattern - N, E or M: https://imsfiltri.com/wp-content/upload ... NITIVO.pdf

Actually their own site contains some contradictory information if you look closely: https://imsfiltri.com/prodotto/b701th26-5e/

romlee
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by romlee »

Thanks!
R

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

romlee wrote:Jim,
I can't seem to find B70 1T h26.5F. I do find a B70 1T h26.5E.

Sorry, my mistake; the E is the one I have.
Jim Schulman

romlee
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by romlee »

Thanks, again!

R