Taste n Learn: turbo shots, light roast edition.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Particpation, insights & tips welcomed.

I will take up one entry with the coffee I have for this and my extractions of it over the duration of the bag. Maybe others will choose to test these highly extracting waters.

I am going to post about a coffee that should lend itself to exploration of a light roast and turbo shots. Especially if you have a coffee others have access to, please feel free to devote an entry to something similar. It's probably most useful if someone else may have experience with the same coffee. I mean if no one else has tried the coffee you are drinking they would have no comment to make about it specifically. This is one of many reasons I haven't tried this with one of my light roasts.

When I first thought of doing this months ago, it seemed like a great HB community exercise, but - although it isn't in individual threads - there is quite a lot to read already if one searches turbo shots. Recently, Jeff (on Team HB) linked the 2020 March article here. {thanks Jeff!}
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#2: Post by Chert (original poster) »

At Narrative Coffee in Bellingham WA (great shop, by the way) I picked up this bag of Manhattan Coffee Roasters Nestor Lasso, origin Colombia Pitalito el Diviso, which on my Tonino scores 127 ( the light side of cinnamon), roast date 7 Sept, the bag has a label FILTER.

The roaster indicates that notes of raspberry, rose and shortbread are to be found in cups of it.

Sept 17: My first extraction before diving into espresso over the next few days and weeks (yes, I am curious what resting will do) was an aeropress.

The bag hit of beans aroma suggested a light roast with not much aromatics or fruit to offer, and I did not get much from today's grounds fragrance either. Not obviously under developed to my palate, but suggesting I might find it so. (roasts a bit further along often award the sniffer when the bag is cut open with much joy)

I use my EG-1 Boyt enterprises burrset. Aeropress upright, 15 grams ground coffee (7 numbers from bind ground setting) 30 mLbloom 98C water, 210 mL at 30 sec slow pour, stir at 80 secs, slow plunge 2:00-2:30.

After my first impressions of the beans and ground coffee, I was very pleased to experience the flavors of rose character and raspberry in the flavors of that cup. They held up and - maybe intensified - in the cooling cup. My partner tasted also and for her the raspberry was more prominent than rose and she also wasn't excited by the fragrance of freshly opened bag or grounds. I did not get shortbread but more of a pleasant tea-like astringency as a third impression.

Sept 18: first extraction at 6 bar, fast.. Too fast for a proper turbo shot. EG-1 1 number coarser than my usual. Result of 15g:45 ml 12 sec total shot time. Turbo shots are even messier when dialed too coarse. Again, my wife tried a sip of the brew: "Wow. It's like you added lime juice to your coffee." The rose and redfruit notes were there, but puckery.

Sept 19: gusher shot. raspberry rose water. This coffee is very nice and interesting. I moved the grind 1/2 number finer. Before tomorrow morning I will study the methods in this paper Jeff linked.

Sept 20: I'm adjusting my Decent profile for this exercise. Todays shot was 20 sec 15:50. More rose-raspberry goodness!

Sept 25: 18 days post roast, today's 23 sec 15:45 shot was more muted and brought spice to mind among the rose and red fruit. Still quite pleasant. I think my palate is off though so maybe it's not fade that I'm tasting. I'm finding these 15 g turbo shots enjoyable so for my second espresso I used the same profile for Daterra anaerobic aramosa Victor, to very good effect. I am pleased to be exploring these extractions.

Sept 26: today I used a turbo shot profile available on the Decent Extractomundo! attributed to "JoeD" which is different to my turbo profile in it's temperature . I forget what the preinfusion temp is but I know it is set to markedly decline during the shot. With this profile I got the intensity of floral and fruit in the cup that on yesterday's seeme to have faded. There is lots to explore in the turbo shots and different ways to get there.

(Ihave 6 more 15 gram shots, I put 3 in freezer. In a week I can start rest/control shots compares - I think I shoudl use extractomundo for that)

October 3: fwoturbo. The shot was kept at room temp since purchase and made for another delicious rose-raspberry turbo with pleasant astringency . Certainly not faded, but not clearly better than 2 weeks ago.

Oct 4. I went with the same VST 18 g basket in a spouted PF to share with a friend, but the same decent profile gave a 10 second gusher. It ruined the shot, although it still suggested the rose/raspberry notes in this coffee.

Oct 18. Every shot is as enjoyable as the last or moreso. The one today from freezer storage was just a delicious balance of rose and raspberry and sweet. On the Decent, it's fwoturbo 15:43 over 18 seconds including brief pre-infusion.

Nov 6 see Oct 18. such consistent flavors from this over time out of freezer.

Nov 8 We were nearly out of roasted coffee. (where is that TW sub?!?) I used the turbo extraction and converted into americano for my partner. I took a quality control (tiny) sip and I told her "It's like carrot, not the raspbery-rose I'm used to" but I had to leave and did not get feedback from her.

.. and now that delicious Manhattan selection is all gone

November 11: Tim Windelboe selections roasted October 30 arrived to eastern Washington Nov 8. I think I will continue my descriptions on this entry.

I took the beans aroma the night they arrived. The two SL-28 selections were muted and suggested light roast, hiding some joy, but opening the gesha there was a hint of orange and jasmine so I was quite happy about that.

Honduras Caballero SL-28 Oct 30 roast date batch 9 Tonino is 133 (cinnamon light) and as described by the TW team there is taste of chocolate and berries in the cup. Since my first turbo and other extractions were pleasing, I divided on Nov 9 and froze doses of 15 g each. The remaining 12 g I pulled as turbo after taking Tonino reading with those grounds. Rather than trying to recall my impression from the first 5 shots, I will take notes and report here. It won't last long because I am making her morning cappuccino with this coffee and pulling shots for me with it. It is a winner to my palate.

Nov 15 Nacimiento SL-28 Tonino 128. my fwoturbo profile 15:40 followed by JoeD Extractomundo. 15:40 but 20 sec total shot times. I quite enjoy this coffee too. I like the harsher expression in my less refined profile but the Extractomundo was really smooth and more approachable I would say.

Caballero gesha Tonino 131 (I haven't had time to take notes as I pull shots) This coffee makes great turbo shots and good ones are jasmine / mandarin as described. Really good.
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan »

This would be a fun exercise if we could get a few members together and all order the same coffee. Kind of like the collab coffee tastings but more of a focus on method than reviewing the coffee itself. I'd be in if we could find a few more. Probably 5+ members would make it a fun exercise.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by LBIespresso »

I'm in. Sounds like fun!
LMWDP #580

Chert (original poster)

#5: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Obviously, I like the idea. If someone wants to suggest a coffee, we can try to order from the same roast date and run with it. I'm sure there are others who would come along and contribute comments.
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Milligan »

When we do settle on a coffee and roaster then it may be beneficial to reach out and see if we can all get coffee from the same batch. I'm not sure if B&W does light enough for this exercise but they usually have nice selection and they sell in 12oz so there would be plenty for experimentation.

Perhaps something like this:
https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/coll ... illage-e42

It is a natural but they describe it as clean. Light from B&W typically falls in the 102-108 Agtron Gourmet from the coffee I've tested before so not very light like Sey, Manhattan, or April. Any other suggestions?

Chert (original poster)

#7: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I definitely want to eventually find a gesha to try in this way. choices choices.

I browsed some selectiIons of Idle Hands, Roseline, Northbound and Paradise. Like Black and White, those are respected roasters I think, but I was confused by Paradise having so many "sold out" "email for wait list offerings, and I did'n't see a certain one to suggest.

This Idle Hands washed Kenya Kangurumai ab has an intriguing listing, with a description of the roast parameters they target on their Loring. Where would 23 deg F development put it likely on a colour scale? Dark Chocolate, Raspberry, Black Currant, Mandarin, Dried Fig, Floral, Honey, Lime

Here's a light Ethiopian washed offering from Northbound: Ethiopia Agaro Gera Duromina #7 Stonefruit, Citrus, Jasmine.
LMWDP #198

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

As an idea, maybe a month's subscription of Tim Wendelboe or Coffee Collective. They are both surprisingly affordable, even with shipping to the US. Both, I believe, offer an "espresso" roast level which is a bit more developed than their "filter" level. With the TW that I tried at that level, it wasn't "roasty" and was easier to extract than the same greens at the filter level.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

Chert wrote:I definitely want to eventually find a gesha to try in this way. choices choices.

I browsed some selectiIons of Idle Hands, Roseline, Northbound and Paradise. Like Black and White, those are respected roasters I think, but I was confused by Paradise having so many "sold out" "email for wait list offerings, and I did'n't see a certain one to suggest.

This Idle Hands washed Kenya Kangurumai ab has an intriguing listing, with a description of the roast parameters they target on their Loring. Where would 23 deg F development put it likely on a colour scale? Dark Chocolate, Raspberry, Black Currant, Mandarin, Dried Fig, Floral, Honey, Lime

Here's a light Ethiopian washed offering from Northbound: Ethiopia Agaro Gera Duromina #7 Stonefruit, Citrus, Jasmine.
Those Kenya notes seem a bit more developed than light? 20F+ development usually puts me in the medium light range depending on dev time. I'm not sure about the Loring though but from what I understand they develop the inner and outer bean more quickly being driven mainly by convection.

Jeff being the resident light coffee aficionado perhaps we should take him up on his suggestion?

Chert (original poster)

#10: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I agree. I've been to coffee collective but never tried Tim Windelboe coffee . I'll study on that subscription a moment.
LMWDP #198