Tamping Technique - whether to tap? and where? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

Do you tap the portafilter with the tamper?

Yes
42%
No
53%
Other (explain)
5%

Total votes: 139

jesawdy

#11: Post by jesawdy »

"He's a tapper, She's a tapper, wouldn't you like to be a tapper too." :oops:

Okay, I usually tap, but decided not to the last few days and just invert the portafilter to discard the loose grounds. Seems to work just fine. And none of the "ashy taste from the loose grounds heating faster". :wink: .... whatever.

-Jeff

barry

#12: Post by barry »

cannonfodder wrote:Espresso Distribution & Tamp 'Nutating Motion'

bad BAD cannonfodder!! bad boy. bad. bad bad baddity bad.

never never ever bang on the locking lugs of the portafilter with anything metal.

and, fwiw, the "nutating motion" technique just gives me the willys... <shudder>

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

It could be a lot worse...
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee
Sponsor

#14: Post by Compass Coffee » replying to HB »

Wow! Good one Dan. Anyone count the whacks? I lost track at 3 dozen. :shock:
Mike McGinness, Head Bean (Owner/Roast Master)
http://www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com

jesawdy

#15: Post by jesawdy »

HB wrote:It could be a lot worse..
Where and how did you find that?! Hilarious in so many different ways... we had tapping, nutating, "tempting" and so much more. Do think she was worrying about side-channeling? Sheesh. :lol:

another_jim
Team HB

#16: Post by another_jim »

Fwiw, I do a nutating distribution; but I doubt it's a good idea for pros: I had the clever idea of adding some weight while doing it, and got tennis elbow within a week. Even without pressure; it may be a strain if done hundreds of times per day.

I overfill the basket, which requires tapping or mini-tamps ahead of the tamp. Overfilling and a convex tamper eliminates stray grounds on the basket sides, since there aren't any sides left when the tamp is done.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

jesawdy wrote:Where and how did you find that?!
Go to youtube.com, search on espresso, barista, or coffee. Lots of silly stuff, some serious stuff.

PS: I prefer google videos for hosting because they don't watermark the image and the sound syncs better with the video, but they take longer to "verify" them. YouTube assumes that members will police the content so uploads are live in a few minutes.
Dan Kehn

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
k7qz

#18: Post by k7qz »

jesawdy wrote:... we had tapping, nutating, "tempting" and so much more.
Wait, don't tell me.... Bangkok, Thailand? :wink: :lol:

Jasonian

#19: Post by Jasonian »

HB wrote:Go to youtube.com, search on espresso, barista, or coffee. Lots of silly stuff, some serious stuff.

PS: I prefer google videos for hosting because they don't watermark the image and the sound syncs better with the video, but they take longer to "verify" them. YouTube assumes that members will police the content so uploads are live in a few minutes.
I police the videos in the Coffee and Espresso group. Easy to find the serious stuff there. I search through almost every page of videos returning a hit to coffee, espresso, or something related.

If someone is putting out quality stuff, I'll invite them in.

But yeah.. I generally don't tap.. I do the pre-tamp tap thing at home. I don't at work. I'm really not sure why. I think it's just easier to do with a naked PF than with a double spouted PF.

olypdd

#20: Post by olypdd »

I tap but very slightly so as to not loosen the coffee I just sealed against the puck. I only do it if there is a quantity of loose coffee around the sides, but I may start dumping that back in the doser before I polish things off as I would rather not risk loosening the seal I just accomplished.

Rich
The truth shall set you free....or perhaps not.