A Tamper is Too Heavy for Grinder Anti-Popcorn Remedy - Page 7

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
shadowfax

#61: Post by shadowfax »

michaelbenis wrote:Can anyone tell me if it is any way feasible to think of running the dosered Robur for single dose operation, emptying the chute each time for minimal grind retention? :roll:
I sure never liked it that way, which is why I sold mine to JonR10, but I think that may be what he does (maybe?). I know he's loving the beast. Don't know why you would get it if you have a Nino other than to try something new, though... it's a pretty similar grinder in terms of cup results... same basic burrs, bigger motor, better grind adjustment mechanism, more waste, nooks, and crannies.
Nicholas Lundgaard

michaelbenis

#62: Post by michaelbenis »

The why is simple, Nicholas:

I can get it for a lot less than another Nino, which I don't use in single dose mode because it works so well the way it's supposed to. I can keep the Nino for whatever is the staple of the week and use the Robur for my wake-up Ethiopians.

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

Advertisement
Koffee Kosmo

#63: Post by Koffee Kosmo »

One of my mottos is the simple things always work best

My remedy to pop-corning is a balloon filled with rice if a heavy weight is required or coffee beans if a lighter weight is required. If fact nothing is preventing one from having both
The balloon is filled to a level that suits ones hopper

KK

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#64: Post by RapidCoffee »

I've thought of this too (maybe not a balloon, but a small sack filled with rice or dried beans). The problem is, a nut protrudes up into the throat of my Mazzer grinders, and spins at several hundred RPMs with the burrs. The balloon wouldn't last very long... :shock:
John

CRCasey

#65: Post by CRCasey »

Only if you were filling daily. I would not want to get a bunch of rubber out of my grinder.

-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

Koffee Kosmo

#66: Post by Koffee Kosmo »

RapidCoffee wrote:I've thought of this too (maybe not a balloon, but a small sack filled with rice or dried beans). The problem is, a nut protrudes up into the throat of my Mazzer grinders, and spins at several hundred RPMs with the burrs. The balloon wouldn't last very long... :shock:
It reminds me of a hacky sack :idea:

KK

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#67: Post by RapidCoffee »

Throat of a Mazzer Major.

Do they make kevlar hacky sacks? :)
John

Advertisement
Koffee Kosmo

#68: Post by Koffee Kosmo »

I have found no problems with my Mazzer Major when one uses the original wide segment blades

This the wide segment profile of the original Mazzer burr and the blades I use

The problem with the after market blades is that they require the beans to have a little weight behind them for the blades to initially grab and rip the beans

This is the blade profile of the after market burr set

I have tested both burr profile types and the original blades don't require any assistance in the form of a weight

KK

Martin

#69: Post by Martin »

I agree that weight of tamper is a variable corrected by proper grind adjustment. As long as you are using the same tamper, it shouldn't matter. Much. If it does matter, it's quite small on my current list of shot production defects that could be improved. Like, maybe, upgrading my Mini. Or quit buying beans at Whole Foods.

I use a 12 oz tamper for single dose on my Mazzer. At the bottom center of the tamper I've affixed a 1/8 inch thick +/- round silicon "chair slider" to take up a little of the volume created by the hopper supports. Toward the end of the 16/17 gram grind, there's a little popcorning. However, this is a very small proportion of the total (maybe, what? 10 or 15%?)
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

ljguitar

#70: Post by ljguitar »

Koffee Kosmo wrote:One of my mottos is the simple things always work best
Hi folks...
I single dose.

I use one of these cups (empty) resting in the chute to keep the dose/beans contained, where it fits nicely without touching the whirling burrs. Then when I'm grinding and the grinder quits ''popping'' (but is still running) I lift the cup, brush the left-over beans/grounds down into the grinder with a 1'' paint brush which lives in the kit which lives next to the grinder.

Then after the grinder stops, I sweep out the chute with the same brush & pulse the grinder one more time to evacuate any more grounds which are on the burrs.

Simple, no weight at all on the beans and it works great...

L  a  r  r  Y

<°)))><