Such a simple adjustment to my routine

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
liquidmetal

#1: Post by liquidmetal »

So this is really more of a PSA to the other scrubs out there like me. I am working with a Lucca m58 and sette 270 for the last two months. I have been pulling some tasty shots and some lackluster ones, and I would do the exact same thing in my routine every time. I have been single dosing (18.0g in the hopper only when I am ready to pull a shot). I would weigh the beans, grind directly into portafilter, WDT, tamp, and pull aiming for 1.5x in 28 seconds.

Adding one additional step, weigh the beans again after grinding and adjust more/less as needed. I have seen the weight be as low as 3 grams short, and 2 grams high???? Wtf! With results being from 0.75x to 2.5x in the end, totally meh to downright bad. Now, I am within 1-2 grams of my target weight every time.

TLDR: weigh before and after grinding for consistency!

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

Excellent advice. Many grinders retain enough grounds to throw off your extraction. Even if you have a grinder with virtually zero retention (e.g., a Kafatek Monolith Flat), it pays to weigh the output. Mistakes happen.

liquidmetal (original poster)

#3: Post by liquidmetal (original poster) replying to Peppersass »

Definitely! I was getting frustrated. Next step is to devise a method to clean out the retention without removing the burr...

Radio.YYZ

#4: Post by Radio.YYZ »

liquidmetal wrote:So this is really more of a PSA to the other scrubs out there like me. I am working with a Lucca m58 and sette 270 for the last two months. I have been pulling some tasty shots and some lackluster ones, and I would do the exact same thing in my routine every time. I have been single dosing (18.0g in the hopper only when I am ready to pull a shot). I would weigh the beans, grind directly into portafilter, WDT, tamp, and pull aiming for 1.5x in 28 seconds.

Adding one additional step, weigh the beans again after grinding and adjust more/less as needed. I have seen the weight be as low as 3 grams short, and 2 grams high???? Wtf! With results being from 0.75x to 2.5x in the end, totally meh to downright bad. Now, I am within 1-2 grams of my target weight every time.

TLDR: weigh before and after grinding for consistency!
Just to throw another wrench in your routine, i found with the sette if i single dose the grind is not as consistent. To produce consistent results i have to have some extra beans to weigh them down, this also reduces popcorning. I usually weight the basket with the ground coffee and adjust at that point to get closer to my target!
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Deebo

#5: Post by Deebo »

That's interesting, I have the 270 and single dose. I put 20g in and get 19.9 out, every single time.
Think it, but don't overthink it...

Sideshow

#6: Post by Sideshow »

Just dose directly into your basket/portafilter after you tare your scale with the basket/portafilter on it. I've done that since the beginning. Single dosing with hopper type grinders will never work well in terms of no retention for beans in and out, unless you have some substantial mods. And you don't gain much by trying to single dose with a hopper grinder anyway. Just keep the bean level low in the hopper and dose directly into the basket/portafilter as described above.

liquidmetal (original poster)

#7: Post by liquidmetal (original poster) »

Radio.YYZ wrote:Just to throw another wrench in your routine, i found with the sette if i single dose the grind is not as consistent. To produce consistent results i have to have some extra beans to weigh them down, this also reduces popcorning. I usually weight the basket with the ground coffee and adjust at that point to get closer to my target!
Interesting, not as consistent from visual inspection or how did you measure it? Any taste difference?
Deebo wrote:That's interesting, I have the 270 and single dose. I put 20g in and get 19.9 out, every single time.
Really? I wonder why mine is inconsistent...

Sideshow wrote:Just dose directly into your basket/portafilter after you tare your scale with the basket/portafilter on it. I've done that since the beginning. Single dosing with hopper type grinders will never work well in terms of no retention for beans in and out, unless you have some substantial mods. And you don't gain much by trying to single dose with a hopper grinder anyway. Just keep the bean level low in the hopper and dose directly into the basket/portafilter as described above.
Well, the idea was to try and keep the beans from getting stale in the hopper, since I use an airscape container to keep them fresh. I thought I'd seen that the sette was good as it gets for single dosing a hopper but maybe I am running into the limitations of the hopper here.

Sideshow

#8: Post by Sideshow »

liquidmetal wrote:Well, the idea was to try and keep the beans from getting stale in the hopper, since I use an airscape container to keep them fresh. I thought I'd seen that the sette was good as it gets for single dosing a hopper but maybe I am running into the limitations of the hopper here.
If you keep the amount in the hopper low then you'll have no problems with staleness. I don't know your environment conditions, but beans can sit in a hopper for a day or two just fine before being ground.

I just put about two days worth of beans in the hopper at a time, and that works just fine. If you're switching beans with each pull, then obviously this approach won't work. I tend to go through a bag one at a time so it works fine for me.

Radio.YYZ

#9: Post by Radio.YYZ »

liquidmetal wrote:Interesting, not as consistent from visual inspection or how did you measure it? Any taste difference?

Really? I wonder why mine is inconsistent...

Well, the idea was to try and keep the beans from getting stale in the hopper, since I use an airscape container to keep them fresh. I thought I'd seen that the sette was good as it gets for single dosing a hopper but maybe I am running into the limitations of the hopper here.
When the grinds get inconsistent, you can taste it in the cup. Cup to cup results are inconsistent and sometimes the flow rate is erratic.

I found darker the beans, i.e. roasted beyond first crack or any sort of beans with oil on them, the grinder will have retention and static.

I have been reading a lot of members and their liking for lightly roasted beans and i have been getting mine roasted light to medium as well.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

F1

#10: Post by F1 »

Deebo wrote:That's interesting, I have the 270 and single dose. I put 20g in and get 19.9 out, every single time.
Where are all those .1g going to? Another dimension? Maybe there is another you in that other dimension who always puts 20g in and gets 20.1g out.