Such a simple adjustment to my routine - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
idrinkjetfuel

#11: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

F1 wrote:Where are all those .1g going to?
My money says it's on the countertop :D

JR_Germantown

#12: Post by JR_Germantown »

Deebo wrote:That's interesting, I have the 270 and single dose. I put 20g in and get 19.9 out, every single time.
So your grinder is retaining coffee at a rate of .1g per dose? What eventually happens, does it fill up? :lol:

Edit: Oh, snap. Didn't see the previous two posts that were better than mine. ;)

Jack

trapperkeeper

#13: Post by trapperkeeper »

Definitely! - usually weigh out whole beans about 0.7 to 1.0 grams more than what my goal weight is (16.0 grams in my case), rdt, grind into a cup, then place the portafilter and funnel on the scale, zero it, dump in coffee and spoon off the extra to get within 0.2g, wdt, remove funnel, tamp. There are too many other variables not to weigh what actually goes in the basket.
LMWDP #600

Deebo

#14: Post by Deebo »

F1 wrote:Where are all those .1g going to? Another dimension? Maybe there is another you in that other dimension who always puts 20g in and gets 20.1g out.
Yea, good one...

So by your logic I will eventually have 100,000,000 grams retained? Makes sense... no, sorry.
Think it, but don't overthink it...

Deebo

#15: Post by Deebo »

JR_Germantown wrote:So your grinder is retaining coffee at a rate of .1g per dose? What eventually happens, does it fill up? :lol:

Edit: Oh, snap. Didn't see the previous two posts that were better than mine. ;)

Jack
Q1: Yes

Q2: No

Deebo

#16: Post by Deebo »

idrinkjetfuel wrote:My money says it's on the countertop :D
You owe someone money

Deebo

#17: Post by Deebo »

liquidmetal wrote: Really? I wonder why mine is inconsistent...
I'm not sure. Mine required a shim pretty quickly after unboxing to keep the grind setting in place, otherwise it would drift. That wouldn't explain retention, but my point is that these grinders don't always come out of the factory operating at 100%. My guess, compared to mine, is that it's defective. One of the main reasons I bought this grinder was because of the supposed near-zero retention, which has proven to be true in my case. If it were me, I would contact Baratza, I've been quite happy with mine status-post shim.

Deebo

#18: Post by Deebo »

JR_Germantown wrote:

Jack
Yea, wow, you guys really got me...

I'm sure that since there's so much wit bouncing between the three of you that you can combine your smart brains and perhaps reach a different conclusion... I can give you a hint if you need it.