Struggling with channeling. - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cafeIKE

#21: Post by cafeIKE »

Only the time differs. In the original video, the shot is D.O.A @ 0.00 with month old coffee for most of us here.

Jeff
Team HB

#22: Post by Jeff »

Ike's observations are spot-on.

Reviewing cell-phone video, frame-by-frame, often shows things the eye missed, or early signs of what we spot later on.

cafeIKE

#23: Post by cafeIKE »

No need to review frame by frame except to get the exact position. [After a career dealing with nano & pico seconds, farads, henries, etc. approximate is a word I seldom use. Sad, I know... I resisted buying a 0.01g scale the other day :lol: ]

Were I watching the shot real time, I'd have aborted immediately.
When there is a ring around the outside and 60% of the holes are bone dry, it's over. :cry: :cry:

Jeff
Team HB

#24: Post by Jeff »

I'll often see burbles or dead spots early in the shot that I missed both live and at full-speed replay. I agree that clicking through each frame is excessive, but using the "scrub" feature has given me a lot of insights that I would have missed otherwise. My technique and my shot-to-shot repeatability have improved as a result of the feedback.

PeetsFan

#25: Post by PeetsFan »

And the unofficial HB review, written by yours truly, concludes that it works fine for a $400 grinder. But I'll be first to admit I don't have other grinders to compare it to.