Struggling with brew time / espresso weight

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dasch

#1: Post by dasch »

I am genuinely confused. Trying to dial in my machine at work and the variables aren't making any sense to me. Dose weight is approximately 19.5 grams. It was on the finer side and the drop was fine but it wouldn't reach a wet weight of 2:1 (38 grams) until the 40 second mark. When I made it coarser, it would drop too fast and even though it hit the 2:1 mark within 25-30 seconds, it would be way too long of a shot and way too diluted. This is only after adjusting it only very slightly.

I don't really know what to do. Any suggestions?

Using a La Marzocco Linea semi and a Mahlkonig K30 grinder.

appa

#2: Post by appa »

How old is your coffee?
Depending on the coffee, you may have to wait a few weeks for it to be stable.

appa

#3: Post by appa »

I forgot to mention, I also have a K30.
You only need to adjust in increments of 0.5 to notice a difference.

Pressino

#4: Post by Pressino »

If the coffee tastes good, I don't see any real problem with the 40 second time to extract a 2:1 ratio. I don't worry if my extractions go on a bit long, since there are many variables, like the beans themselves and the time since roast date already mentioned, that may lengthen extraction time with no bad effects on taste. On the other had fast extractions are always problematic. I've had extractions that go on up to 50 seconds that have tasted just fine. If you have flow control capability you can do a lot to modify and improve these longer extractions.

Oskuk

#5: Post by Oskuk replying to Pressino »

Yes. These rule of thumbs are just the starting point, not the exact you have to aim, and after all: then you move to coffee you like.

ojt

#6: Post by ojt »

The traditional brew time brackets are also based on traditional Italian roasts (dark) and doses (max 15 grams) and style, aren't they? Change any of those and the only thing that matters is taste. Judge based on the taste and mouth feel and adjust accordingly.
Osku

mrgnomer

#7: Post by mrgnomer »

What beans roast level and freshness wise and what do the shots taste like?
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love