Steaming non-homogenized milk

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
davidcelis

Postby davidcelis » Dec 04, 2018, 1:25 pm

I give non-homogenized milk a try every six months or so, hoping I can get it right. I like the taste a lot more (to me it tends to taste creamier and sweeter) and although I almost always end up enjoying the flavor of my cappuccino more when I use non-homogenized milk, I also always give up almost immediately and go back to homogenized milk.

I know homogenized milk is supposed to be easier to steam, but I've also had folks in the coffee industry tell me that non-homogenized milk is still perfectly steamable if you just shake the milk first to re-incorporate the fat. I can't seem to get the fat re-incorporated no matter how much I shake it or stir it, though, resulting in a louder, "screamier" steaming session with less microfoam.

Does anybody have any tips for successfully steaming non-homogenized milk that doesn't just include "shake it" or "stir it"? Because I swear that just does not work for me.

forbiddenbeat

Postby forbiddenbeat » Dec 05, 2018, 1:42 pm

I mentioned similar problems here: Apparently milk does play an important role in microfoam quality!

I was never able to figure out how to get non-homogenized milk to work well. The fat was always mixed in after steaming, but there was really crap microfoam. I had bubbles on top, and it was just kind of funky. I gave up too.