Steaming Milk How-To - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
hamish5178 (original poster)

#11: Post by hamish5178 (original poster) »

I'm purging the wand as completely as possible, and I'm currently using the Omega-3 milk. Still having trouble, but I believe the answer may involve modulating steam power. I think I may actually be getting too much pressure during the texturing phase (more of a raging cyclone than a gentle whirlpool).

LaDan

#12: Post by LaDan »

What size pitcher and how much milk do you steam? And what is the height (depth?) of the milk before you start steaming?

If your milk is too shallow, you'll have a harder time texturing or stretching.

Anything that the step by step instruction that I posted are different than what you do??

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

hamish5178 wrote:I'm purging the wand as completely as possible, and I'm currently using the Omega-3 milk. Still having trouble, but I believe the answer may involve modulating steam power. I think I may actually be getting too much pressure during the texturing phase (more of a raging cyclone than a gentle whirlpool).
One way to address this is to block steam tip holes, maybe with a toothpick. This would slow things a bit without fiddling with the valve each time. It can also direct the steaming to create a whirlpool.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Charbucks

#14: Post by Charbucks »

What does it sound like?

I've never used a fancy steam wand (just the single hole tip on my CC1) but I find the sound is more telling than anything. I know I'm going to be in trouble with anything high-pitched, or gurgling, or basically loud in general... I usually aim for as quiet as possible.
LMWDP #530

hamish5178 (original poster)

#15: Post by hamish5178 (original poster) »

I think I've found the problem, and that was that I had the steam arm too high. With my old Gaggia this was acceptable, but now with this much power anything too close to the surface = instabubbles. I know I've read references in other threads to not really stretching at all on larger machines and I think that's what I'm experiencing. It sucks that I've been messing around with this for months when 45 seconds with someone more knowledgeable than I would have sorted it right out.

oy.

Thanks everyone! Now to work on my art some more. . .

erics
Supporter ★

#16: Post by erics »

A nice link on milk steaming techniques for those who feel challenged - http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/c ... -home.html

merged and FAQ'ed thread - Moderator
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

LaDan

#17: Post by LaDan »

I see that you don't read my posts... Hmm... :evil:

Bubbles in milk, technique or machine?

;)

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#18: Post by erics »

:oops:

Maybe you could consider it a "bump" to a good post.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com