Steaming Eggs on an Espresso Machine

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
brokemusician77

#1: Post by brokemusician77 »

This is absolutely revolting.

Apologies if this has been posted already.
2:28 "Ooooh. It's starting to get chunky."
3:40 "Not bad. Little watery"
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

Little watery... yes, probably too much milk. No chance that steam condenses when it's injected into cold eggs. :lol:
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

Why is that revolting?
If one cleans the steamwand afterwards, i can't see any problems. If i had a steamwand, i'd do that too. For now, i'll just have my eggs boiled in La Peppina's kettle.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I actually did do that. Cooked the eggs in a flash, only took about 1.5 minutes max. Didn't do it again.
Scott
LMWDP #248

CRCasey

#5: Post by CRCasey »

Bluecold wrote:For now, i'll just have my eggs boiled in La Peppina's kettle.
Hard boiled I hope. :D
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#6: Post by mivanitsky »

When I was in high school (24 years ago), I worked in a French bakery in Almaden where we routinely prepared eggs this way. They were very fluffy, and required no added water or milk. We would add onions, spices, cheese, etc, and steam them all together.

The machine was a 2 group Rancilio commercial machine - gorgeous polished brass thing. This was long before the advent of cool-touch steam wands. You had to clean the wand immediately, or else the cleanup was unbearable. All the egg comes out of the steam pitcher easily - if you rinse immediately after serving.

Oddly, I have never tried it on the Synesso, which would be very well-suited to the task.

-Mike

Psyd

#7: Post by Psyd »

shadowfax wrote: No chance that steam condenses when it's injected into cold eggs.
It was probably a bit of a combination of too much milk and a little too little steaming. Steam condenses as it enters the cool egg, or milk, and it mixes with the egg/milk mixture As they all start to firm up and get up to temperature, they all mix together and firm up together, just like cool water does in your omelette in a pan.
It's actually quite a fast way to make an egg dish for one, heat milk for pudding*, make oatmeal, whatever.
There is no difference between using the wand and pitcher to make eggs one day and cappuccino the next than there is in using a pan to make chili one day and pudding the next. As long as your cleanup is adequate, neither your health nor the flavour of your food is endangered.

*Pudding goes fast. if you're not paying attention, it really wants to glop out of the pitcher as it firms up. And when it does, it's *HOT*. Don't try this at home, trained professional on a closed course, not intended for internal or external use, turn out that light, put the cat out, close the lid when you're done.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Advertisement
brokemusician77 (original poster)

#8: Post by brokemusician77 (original poster) »

Well, now that's the craziest thing I've seen today. Clearly I'm in the minority on this one. I don't know, something just strikes me wrong about the egg thing. Maybe it's smelling eggs (something that will make me just about gag first thing in the morning) when I expect to smell espresso and steamed milk.

Maybe it just seems weird to take my espresso machine, which I absolutely baby, and take such a wide detour from its intended use.

Oh well. We all have our hang-ups. Guess this is one of mine.
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

Psyd

#9: Post by Psyd »

brokemusician77 wrote: Maybe it just seems weird to take my espresso machine, which I absolutely baby, and take such a wide detour from its intended use.
The parts are still doing what they were intended to do, make water hot and direct the steam from that into a pitcher to create food. I use the hot water for soup, noodles, pasta, thawing, cleaning, and tea. I use the steam for hot cocoa, pudding, eggs, removing labels, re-heating soups, and foaming milk for caps and lattes, or scalding it for other recipes.
It's a huge tool in my kitchen, and if it's going to take up more space than anything aside from the oven, it's gotta do more than just produce one or two doppio a day... ; >

Justifications? Rationalizations? You betcha! Whatever it takes... :lol:
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

espressme

#10: Post by espressme »

Then there is my Silversmith buddy who uses his DeLonghi pump steam wand to clean the polishing fuzz and grease from his jewelry. Drinks his shop espresso black. They get way too many hard earned dollars for a jewelery steam cleaner.
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,