Steamed Milk Over Ice???

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BillBurrGrinder

#1: Post by BillBurrGrinder »

I am thinking of summer being right around the corner and trying to figure out how to make my iced coffee drinks while keeping the sweetness of steamed milk incorporated into the cup.

I usually do 2 doubles (16g a each in / 30g each out) with about 6oz steamed milk.

Does steamed milk over ice work well? Should I just use cold heavy cream instead? Thoughts on metal ice cubes?

Thanks!

Pushjerk

#2: Post by Pushjerk »

My local shop uses coffee ice cubes. No diluting prob there.

Advertisement
BillBurrGrinder (original poster)

#3: Post by BillBurrGrinder (original poster) replying to Pushjerk »

I thought of doing that...but then I'm mixing coffees and will lose the flavor profile of the different espressos..unless I freeze my espresso shots. Will that degrade the flavor of the shots if I freeze them?

mrjag

#4: Post by mrjag »

Freezing americanos into ice cubes should work pretty well.

#5: Post by BillBurrGrinder (original poster) replying to mrjag »

Good idea, but I'm trying not to dilute it too much. How about the steamed milk, does it collapse when chilled?

Surely somebody out there must have a good technique for iced Capps/flat whites/lattes etc. maybe I just need to experiment and see what works.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I use cold Half & Half for my summer iced espressos.
LMWDP 267

zfeldman

#7: Post by zfeldman »

What I do for iced lattes is just steam the milk long enough to introduce some air.
So after the initial stretching stage as the milk is getting warm I stop. You don't get the sweetness, but the texture isn't bad, especially considering it's gonna be dumped over ice anyway. Then I dump it and the hot espresso over ice. Works pretty well with only modest melting of the ice.

Advertisement
marlodmb

#8: Post by marlodmb »

I just use plain cold milk. I thought about stretching/steaming first.

mrjag

#9: Post by mrjag »

I use a variation of the Phil's Coffee method: a shot of espresso, ice, and cold milk shaken in a cocktail shaker. The milk churns into a thicker texture and develops a foamy head as you shake it. You can pour just the liquid portion for a cold latte, or the whole shaker for a cold capachino. It does lack the natural sweetness of steamed milk, which I compensate for with a little agave syrup (added prior to shaking).

#10: Post by BillBurrGrinder (original poster) »

I think I may look at 1part half and half to 4 parts 2%milk and try the cocktail shaker method.

But I may experiment with steaming milk and refrigerating it overnight. I might lose the micro foam but the sweetness should still be there.

I'll give it a go next weekend and report my results.

Thanks for all the suggestions!