Starbucks Espresso Specifications

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
amspeach57

#1: Post by amspeach57 »

My favorite drink is a Starbucks Quad Grande Iced Latte. I've tried everything I can think of to duplicate this at home. I think my biggest issue is that I cannot get the shots to match their flavor profile. Starbucks will not give out "proprietary" info, and I'm sure someone here knows.
I'm looking for exact specifications, going under the assumption that my drink is made with double shot pulls:

1. Boiler temperature
2. Grams of coffee
3. Duration of pull
4. Volume of pull
5. Any other pertinent info.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

bluesman

#2: Post by bluesman replying to amspeach57 »

I see your problem right away - they aren't using coffee :D

There's a Reddit thread from about 3 years ago in which a few Starbucks baristas (self-designated) claim the recipe is 17 gm of whatever that brown stuff is into 30 cc in "18 to 23 seconds".

mrjag

#3: Post by mrjag »

"Espresso shot should be 15-19 seconds for Verismo and 18-23 for La San Marco." (#1, pg7)

Not espresso, but perhaps a starting point for some parameters to experiment with: "The $11,000 Clover Coffee machine is fancy single cup coffee brewer that makes a super clean and rich cup of coffee. It uses vacuum-pot technology combined with a 70-micron filter. The brewing temperature is set to 202 degrees and the brewing time varies between 35 and 45 seconds. It takes 50 grams of coffee grounds to make a 16-ounce coffee." (#2, day 1)

Output weight is 0.75oz per shot (but was 1oz prior to 2016). (#3, serving size for quad)

The iced latte recipe can be found on page 23 here: http://www.mwrbrandcentral.com/JSPVP/bl ... 7-8-14.pdf

References:
1. https://solutions.starbucks.com/resourc ... 031516.pdf
2. https://ineedcoffee.com/starbucks-coffee-college/
3. https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/e ... ize=121983

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
bluesman wrote: ... they aren't using coffee.
Heaven only knows what they're using in lieu of coffee.
And what else a Quad Grande Iced Latte has mixed in it.

No doubt the store does have a strong following, just like Mc Donald's, KFC and similar ... 8^/

But people get what people want.
It's just that it's not espresso.

CIV

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

civ wrote:But people get what people want. It's just that it's not espresso.
After 7+ decades on this planet, I don't begrudge anyone their tastes & preferences. I certainly have mine, and I'm OK with anyone who disagrees with them. I feel a bit bad that so many people seem to love things I simply detest, but they feel that way about my choices too.

The upside is that the preponderance of demand for coffee seems to favor stuff I wouldn't drink on a bet. If the masses all wanted what most HBers want, it'd be scarce and crazy expensive - so I'm grateful for the big chains, even though (as we say in the blues) I'd rather drink muddy water :D

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by pizzaman383 »

I started my espresso journey trying to duplicate the Starbucks white mocha. The syrups they use have a unique flavor profile so getting the same syrups make a difference.

On the coffee side of things I found the Starbucks pods to have the home brewed taste to what was produced in the store. I was never able to use whole beans to match the taste as effectively.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

coffeemmichael

#7: Post by coffeemmichael »

amspeach57 wrote:5. Any other pertinent info.
Based on my refractometer and gold cup range as a target, 1:3 ratio

amspeach57 (original poster)

#8: Post by amspeach57 (original poster) »

Thank you all for the great replies. It's a good starting point. There are many that are not Starbucks fans, and I knew that before posting. But there's another place I frequent on vacation that seems to achieve the same result. They use a good quality bean from a local roaster, so in that sense it's hard to draw a parallel.