I need some help in fixing sour espresso. I've done everything I can find and come to the sit at the feet of the masters. And I've done a lot. And I've read a lot of other advice here and tried it all (I think). My espresso has been sour for nearly 1.5 years, despite running quite a number of experiments. I worry that I'm now acclimating to sour espresso...
Vario grinder with ceramic burrs
Coffee: Camber espresso blend, roasted 5 days ago. A light roast blend from Honduras Santa Barbara.
- Reset the machine to factory default
- Grind 18.0 g (held constant for all tests)
- Use the Luxhaus spring loaded tamper ~ 30lbs--I use this so all family member's tamps are consistent
- Use the WDT on all grounds to remove clumps
- Adjusted grind to get 36g espresso (1:2) in 30.8 seconds from time I push the button (including ~10 secs pre-infusion)-still sour
NOTE: The extraction looks very good for all of these tests--thicker, smooth, not watery, with very good crema. Portafilter is left in group head between tests to keep hot while basket is filled/tamped
- Adjusted grind finer a couple of successive notches, still sour
- Adjusted temp +2 degrees, wait 20 mins, better, but still sour
- Adjusted temp +2 more degrees (@ max temp for BES870), better, but still sour
- Adjust grind finer a couple of successive notches to produce 30.4g espresso over 35.8s; better, still slightly sour, sourness more noticeable as it cooled
- Attempt manual extraction assuming that golden timing of 25-35s is not including pre-infusion by holding 1cup button for 10 seconds for pre-infusion, releasing to start extraction then hitting it again to stop at ~36g extraction. Yield was 37.2g over 32.8 (plus 10 for pre-infusion): better, but just a touch sour
- Adjusted grind 1 notch finer, yield was 35.4g over 38.9s, still somewhat sour.
Yesterday I had ~20 coffee cups all lined up, each representing a one-variable modification over the previous. My wife is laughing at the fact that I just dumped a pound of coffee in the sink. At this point I've tried every recommendation I can find and I'm stumped. I'm officially appealing to the gods of coffee for help!