Sour/bitter espresso shots ECM Giotto

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Rex1027

#1: Post by Rex1027 »

What's up all,

Been using my Giotto since it's rebuild using red bird blue jag blend (frozen) all shots have been coming out sour/bitter almost burnt with no flavor. It's even strong strong in an iced latte.

I've tried the WDT technique and doses ranging from 15-20 on a triple basket bottomless portafilter or my stock double aiming for 1:2 by weight , I've been experimenting with grind with my Super jolly. My OPV is lowered to 10 bar.

Any other tips? Thinking of getting Eric's thermometer.

Thanks in advance

Bluenoser

#2: Post by Bluenoser »

sour & bitter are different ends of the spectrum..

but burnt generally means your brew water is too hot.. Are you flushing before the shot to get your brew water down into the 200F range?

Eric's thermometer will help you develop an efficient flushing technique, but if that is an HX without a restrictor in the TS loop, then HB here has some good vids on how to flush, based on looking at the "flash boil" that happens when the TS water is overheated. For me, a group thermometer is a necessity with my HX.

Advertisement
Rex1027 (original poster)

#3: Post by Rex1027 (original poster) »

Yeah I'll give it a short flush, the first flush has the most steamy water, subsequent flushes there isn't much of a flash boil. My machine doesn't have the restrictor.