Sounds of Frothing - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Marshall

#11: Post by Marshall »

Psyd wrote:From your posts, I'd guess that this makes you an attorney. If the world were still the place that we were talking about, you would be that sound designers criminal defense attorney. I'm guessing that you're either representing him in business dealings, or liability. When a designer needed an attorney, that was my indication that all the fun had gone out of making music and theatre. I guess that's why my creative impulse steers me towards espresso now.
I have no idea what you are talking about. But, a sound designer who is in heavy demand by movie and television producers and advertising shops needs legal advice on buying production facilities, financing high end equipment, hiring employees and all the other things that come along with a successful business. There are worse fates than success.
Marshall
Los Angeles

mckolit (original poster)

#12: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

I recently stopped using the thermometer. I read either here or coffeegeek to go for volume when stretching, to aim for a certain volume increase, and then use the finger tips are burning method to gauge the end of steaming. Mixed results so far, but I'm getting there. I was actually oversteaming when I was using the thermometer because it had to catch up to the actual temp and by the time it read 150, actual temp may have been 10 to 15 degrees higher.

Psyd

#13: Post by Psyd »

Yeah, the time to stop stretching and start incorporating is right about the time you start to feel the milk start to warm up through the pitcher. Just as soon as the pitcher stops feeling cold, right ab out the time that you feel the very first temperature change.
On the other end, when to stop incorporating/heating, try to feel how hot it is and compare that to how how you'd want that on your tongue. For me, just about the time I can no longer hold the pitcher comfortably is when I'd really like the temp, consumption-wise. Hotter, and it'd scald; cooler, and it'd taste a bit luke.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

mckolit (original poster)

#14: Post by mckolit (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:When the bacon stops frying and the paper starts tearing.
When the banshee screams, you've gone too far.
While I was frothing this weekend I really paid attention to the sound and I heard bacon frying. Absolutely awesome.