So frustrated by all the variables and bitter espresso - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by jwCrema »

Where have you landed on this?

The variance between your first shot and second indicates an issue in the startup process. I had an Hx machine with the EricS thermometer. I started out looking at its numbers as absolute truth. I assumed if I hit 203F per the instructions printed on the espresso bag I will get awesome espresso. What I found out was the thermometer helped me listen. Once the popping and hissing is gone on a flush, the metal is temperature stable.

On my HX machine, I found a big difference going from .9 bar to .7 bar. I had bitter at .9 bar on the first shot, and the second shot was the one you wanted.

I also fiddled with grind. Today I don't do that. Once I get 15g to produce 30g in 30seconds, I'll up and down dose with the grind being held constant. The starting dose I'd use is what Bezzera lists for the basket.

Dublin (original poster)

#12: Post by Dublin (original poster) »

Hiya Folks,
My apologies. I subscribed to this thread but don't seem to be getting emails when a reply is made.

I finally had a chance to play with things today. Another disaster unfortunately. Focused purely on the grind which didn't go well.

My first shot was way too slow. Adjusted slightly coarser. Time got better. Adjusted a bit more. Got better. Adjusted a bit more....running way too fast. Backed off. Still too fast. Backed off again. Still too fast. Ultimately ended right up where I started the day after a pound of beans wasted. Plus my grinder started acting up as the button switch for the portafilter isn't working. I plan to take it all apart later and try to give it a good clean. Grounds backed up in the chute first thing today so I'm thinking the base of the grinder is probably full of grounds.

So anyway, the frustration continues.....
Cheers.

Bluenoser

#13: Post by Bluenoser »

What do you have for a grinder? Ahh.. just found it.. Eureka Atom.. which should be a good grinder for espresso.. Is there anyone in your area with expertise in espresso. I'd offer them a supper! (For an after-supper help session).

jgood

#14: Post by jgood »

No experience with heat exchangers so I will leave temp management to others. A few things come to mind that may be helpful.
1) Do a little stirring of the grinds before you tamp -- a dosing funnel (or a cut down yogurt container) is helpful and a toothpick, paperclip, or any of the homemade or commercial devices will work.
2) Don't worry too much about time -- I like a "too long" time -- about 50 sec from 1st drip to get a 30 gr output for a 20 gr dose. On that front try a 1.5 to 1 instead of 2 to 1. But don't go crazy with the clock as the time may not always be consistent -- ratio of coffee to output is where you want to settle on something you like. As was mentioned a 2 to 1 ratio will be more bitter than a 1.5 to 1 -- all other things being the equal. Look at the stream -- see next note.
3) Are you using a bottomless portafilter -- it'll help you diagnose any prep issues.
4) Are the beans fresh -- ie from a local roaster. Ever if they are try another bean or roaster -- see what works for you. Also are they light, med, or dark roasted. I like a dark roast, or med dark. I believe the very light roasts are challenging to use.
5) Try making a cappuccino -- it's more forgiving, while your espresso improves.

Good luck!

Dublin (original poster)

#15: Post by Dublin (original poster) »

Bluenoser wrote:What do you have for a grinder? Ahh.. just found it.. Eureka Atom.. which should be a good grinder for espresso.. Is there anyone in your area with expertise in espresso. I'd offer them a supper! (For an after-supper help session).

Ha! You're not that far off from what I've been trying. I've reached out to a number of roasters asking if they know of anyone willing to work with me and so far it's been crickets.

On the grinder, I'm going to try again. Pulled the portafilter switch yesterday and blew it out and it seems to be working now.

Just need to get through some more meetings then I'm back at it
Cheers,
cc

Dublin (original poster)

#16: Post by Dublin (original poster) »

jgood wrote:No experience with heat exchangers so I will leave temp management to others. A few things come to mind that may be helpful.
1) Do a little stirring of the grinds before you tamp -- a dosing funnel (or a cut down yogurt container) is helpful and a toothpick, paperclip, or any of the homemade or commercial devices will work.
2) Don't worry too much about time -- I like a "too long" time -- about 50 sec from 1st drip to get a 30 gr output for a 20 gr dose. On that front try a 1.5 to 1 instead of 2 to 1. But don't go crazy with the clock as the time may not always be consistent -- ratio of coffee to output is where you want to settle on something you like. As was mentioned a 2 to 1 ratio will be more bitter than a 1.5 to 1 -- all other things being the equal. Look at the stream -- see next note.
3) Are you using a bottomless portafilter -- it'll help you diagnose any prep issues.
4) Are the beans fresh -- ie from a local roaster. Ever if they are try another bean or roaster -- see what works for you. Also are they light, med, or dark roasted. I like a dark roast, or med dark. I believe the very light roasts are challenging to use.
5) Try making a cappuccino -- it's more forgiving, while your espresso improves.

Good luck!
Thanks.
I have a homemade WDT contraption that I just started using. Not sure if it's helping or hurting me to be honest. Yesterday one thing I did do with regards to time is even if the shot ran slow or too fast, I tasted them just to get a better feel for what different extractions taste like. I now definitely know what bitter is! As to the portafilter, yes, I'm using a bottomless. I'm really not paying much attention to time but instead am watching for the cone collapsing at which point I'm shutting it down. Then I take a look to see how long it ran. The beans are from a well regarded local roaster and yes, they are fresh. I was a bit surprised as they are roasted lighter than I was expecting but far from a light roast. I've got 4lbs of them left so will continue on with this batch.

Unfortunately, I'm not into milk drinks so wouldn't even know where to start with a cuppaccino. I will eventually need to figure out the milk/frothing/etc... thing as my wife enjoys a latte every so often but for now, I'm just focused on pure espresso.

Thanks for the advice.
Cheers.