Slower shot time? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

I'd check that the big bearing ring behind the adjuster is clean and properly seated. There should be some grease on it, but no coffee grounds, for example. If you haven't closed up the hole behind the three-arm spider that the faceplate mounts to, you might use some packing tape or the like. A puffer can blow grinds out of that hole.

Amos98 (original poster)

#12: Post by Amos98 (original poster) »

Jeff wrote: If you haven't closed up the hole behind the three-arm spider that the faceplate mounts to, you might use some packing tape or the like. A puffer can blow grinds out of that hole.
Thanks, Jeff. I haven't closed up any holes. From what I recall, the 3-arm spider sits in the hole behind it, so I'm not sure how I'd cover it with tape. Do you mean putting tape on the back end? Or on the front of the spider piece (between it and the face plate)? Or is there another hole? Or am I not remembering correctly and the spider piece doesn't actually sit in the hole behind it?

spressomon

#13: Post by spressomon »

Amos98 wrote: This got me thinking. I actually did change one thing -- I gave two sprays for my RDT yesterday (fast shot), but only 1 today (slow shot). Could this have made any difference? It doesn't seem like such a slight change could have had such a large impact....
Yes, based upon my experience. The amount of water mist/droplets do indeed contribute to the effective granularity of the grind. I find my most consistent shots, back-to-back, occur when I don't use RDT. For "medium" and lighter roasts I can get away without using RDT in my well seasoned Monolith Flat (6-years of daily use). For darker roasts its either messy or I need to deploy RDT.
No Espresso = Depresso

iyayy

#14: Post by iyayy »

spressomon wrote:Yes, based upon my experience. The amount of water mist/droplets do indeed contribute to the effective granularity of the grind. I find my most consistent shots, back-to-back, occur when I don't use RDT. For "medium" and lighter roasts I can get away without using RDT in my well seasoned Monolith Flat (6-years of daily use). For darker roasts its either messy or I need to deploy RDT.
i've been browsing around looking for something new. suprised to find someone who choose not to rdt since everyone with flats seems to be doing it. good to know.

i dont rdt myself, but it does gets messy with some beans, and especially darker roasts.
i also used to split and keep extra beans in the fridge.
i find both rdt and fridge messes consistency. cold beans need finer grind to flow the same, and rdt needs slight adjustment.
cold beans are worse. as it gets up to room temp, it captures moisture in the air.

i cant really always ensure same wetting of beans with rdt or fridge. i now skip those and happy run same shot with preprogrammed button, as long as im consistent with my dose, wdt and tamp. ssp mp df64 and bdb.

Pressino

#15: Post by Pressino »

All the suggested explanations make sense but seem a bit complicated to folks like me who use less complex machines than the DE's... :(