Should/can I freeze ground coffee? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
espressoren

#21: Post by espressoren »

Freshness aside, chances are you already have the grind dialed in though. If you grind a bag and it turns out too coarse or too fine, you're done. I guess if too fine maybe you can dry it out some more or something, and if too coarse maybe you can force it into turbo shots.

jpender

#22: Post by jpender »

espressoren wrote:Freshness aside, chances are you already have the grind dialed in though.
You're right but in my case this was a new bag and I didn't have it dialed. I just left the grinder where it was from the previous bag. It was, in fact, too fine a setting for these beans (shot time >1min) but the coffee (from the first shot) was wonderful anyways. FWIW I use a Robot which definitely allows for a fair degree of on-the-fly adjustment.

The other thing one could do is change the dose to compensate for a grind that is too fine or too coarse, at least up to a certain point.

But the taste! Can't get past that.

Jonk

#23: Post by Jonk »

Yes. Nobody will recommend pre-grinding beans for espresso, because at best it'll still remove your ability to dial in the grind size. You can still have the option to adjust the dose, basket, profile etc. unless it was ground way too coarse.

Having used a messy doser grinder in the past, curiosity got the better of me and I scooped up the robusta-laden, days old spill and pulled a shot that tasted just fine. Other times we can notice huge drops in quality a few days after opening (and closing! :wink:) a bag of beans.

I'm picky enough to freeze beans in (good) individual containers, filled to the rim to minimize oxygen exposure. For my own needs that has become best practise. At the same time I don't think it helps to exaggerate how quickly coffee will stale (you know how some are concerned about the seconds/minutes from grinding/dosing to pulling a shot). Freezing pre-ground will slow reactions just like freezing whole beans do, even if the reaction is faster due to a lot more surface area.

What Dan writes about allowing the grinds to heat up in a hot grouphead for minutes before pulling the shot having an effect isn't surprising. If nothing else, a warm puck will increase the shot temperature.

jkoll42

#24: Post by jkoll42 »

So I can't say for sure as far as ground coffee since you really shouldn't even be pulling shots with preground so I will speak only on whole bean.
Many years ago a group here did a long term series of cupping sessions of fresh and frozen (for varying lengths of time). Multiple people, blind cuppings. Fist thing - freezing is a seal and freeze, take out and thaw and do not put back in or take some out and then put it back in the freezer allowing moisture in.
At any rate, at the end of the experiment there was no statistically significant deviation in cupping scores for the frozen beans.
My assumption would be that this would also hold true for ground coffee (not that I would recommend it) but it would be even more sensitive to opening and closing so I would freeze by dose.