Shot starts at 6 secs, good taste but low volume

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DJL

#1: Post by DJL »

Hey there,

Hoping to get some pointers. Fresh beans, dark roast, My double shots (18 grams) in 58mm basket start around 6-7 seconds, but by 25-30 seconds I'm getting less than 1.5 ounces. Good taste and nice crema, but not getting the yield expected. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

What is the weight of your output? Volume is a pretty meaningless variable, when discussing extraction.

SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

DJL wrote:Hey there,

Hoping to get some pointers. Fresh beanst, dark roast, My double shots (18 grams) in 58mm basket start around 6-7 seconds, but by 25-30 seconds I'm getting less than 1.5 ounces. Good taste and nice crema, but not getting the yield expected. Any suggestions on why this is happening?
What makes you think that is not a good yield?
Seems to me it is ideal, especially if it tastes good and the crema is good.

Carmd1281

#4: Post by Carmd1281 »

I would recommend using a scale vs volume. Much more accurate and easier to diagnose.
Carm
New York, NY

DJL (original poster)

#5: Post by DJL (original poster) »

mivanitsky wrote:What is the weight of your output? Volume is a pretty meaningless variable, when discussing extraction.
My yield from 18 grams at 30 seconds is about 26 grams, shouldn't this be closer to 36 grams? 1:2

DJL (original poster)

#6: Post by DJL (original poster) »

SJM wrote:What makes you think that is not a good yield?
Seems to me it is ideal, especially if it tastes good and the crema is good.
I thought a double is closer to 36 grams of espresso, especially (for 1:2) from 18 grams of coffee.

SJM

#7: Post by SJM »

You are confusing me, but I'd say that good taste and good crema outrank theory any day.

Long before I started weighing output I looked at the output in a shot glass, and my favorite shots (from my Gaggia) were always marked at about 1.5 ounces. Thick and juicy and very slow to ooze out of the portafilter.

DJL (original poster)

#8: Post by DJL (original poster) replying to SJM »

Haha! Sorry a couple of typos in my last posts (fixed). For a double shot using 18 - 20 grams should I not be getting a yield between 30-36 grams of espresso within 25-30 seconds?

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

Not necessarily, but if that is your objective, you could probably just coarsen your grind a bit.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#10: Post by mivanitsky »

You are pulling a shot that is more restricted than a double, but if taste and mouthfeel is good, who cares? Go by what you like, not by some specific number that you shoot for. Grind more coarsely if you want to get more volume in the same time.